How to restore master and msdb database for validation purposes

• Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find information that specifically addresses it.

I know that there are many sites with information on restoring the master database during a disaster. But does anyone know if there is anything out of the ordinary in trying test restore a backup of the master database? Of course I don't want to restore the master database to production, since (knock on wood) the master db is currently OK. But I want to verify that the backup I have can restore successfully. I just don't know if there is anything more to it than trying to restore master under a different name on a test server, or something along those lines. And I'd like to do the same for msdb.

Thanks in advance for any help,

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Creating a database by restoring from a backup that happens to be for a system database works fine.

Just did this last week for MSDB where some developers deleted some information and the recovery worked fine.

There may be some problems with the system views as they reference tables in the resource database but these are not show-stopper problems.

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• Carl Federl (11/22/2010)

Creating a database by restoring from a backup that happens to be for a system database works fine.

Just did this last week for MSDB where some developers deleted some information and the recovery worked fine.

There may be some problems with the system views as they reference tables in the resource database but these are not show-stopper problems.

Thanks so much. I'll just restore to a slightly different name on a test server and make sure I can open and go through the database.

Thanks again.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Good question though it sounds very simple. I havn't tested system db's restore in years...time to check one and see how it goes.

• webrunner (11/23/2010)

Carl Federl (11/22/2010)

Creating a database by restoring from a backup that happens to be for a system database works fine.

Thanks so much. I'll just restore to a slightly different name on a test server and make sure I can open and go through the database.

Thanks again.

- webrunner

BOL suggests a couple of scenarios to watch for, which may help.

ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v9/MS.SQLSVR.v9.en/udb9/html/0bc9eed6-3441-4b75-af02-2944d321daf7.htm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply