How to restore a database on SQL 2005 Cluster node?

• Hi Apologies if this has already been asked, but how do I get all of my drive letters to appear in sql server management studio > restore database >from device > specify backup > add > locate backup file?

At the moment there is only 1 drive letter in there which is where i installed my sql cluster, there should be 3 other drive letters (2 from my SAN and my c: drive). I have setup a brand new 2 node Windows 2008 x64 Ent Cluster with SQL Server x64 Ent on it and now I would like to restore my database and start testing. I want to split my restored database over 2 drives so database on one drive and logs on another.

thanks for your help.

• Are those drives set up as dependencies in the cluster?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi,

Open CLUSTERADMIN and select SQL Server Resource. If rest of the drives are added in this group then you should be able to see it thru SSMS. So add these rest of the drives in side SQL Server Resource & set its dependency as it is for the one which you are able to see in SSMS.

Regards

GURSETHI

• I added the data drive, log drive and tempdb drive as dependencies for the sql server instance in Resources(in cluster administrator. note: you need to bring the sql server(instance name) offline before adding the drives as dependencies) but not Backup drive. So I can not view this backup drive in SSMS but I can restore to this backup drive using T-SQL commands in query editor.

my question is it necessary to add the backup drive as a dependies like other drives?????

thanks

• yes very much necessary so that it will also failover to the node incase your sql server is failing over.

• hi thanks for the quick response i just checked and no there not so that is what I will do next. thanks for your post

• thanks everyone for your posts I can see my drives now. I added dependicies to the sql server , sql agent and full text services in other resources and now the drive letters have all appeared

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply