How to Resolve a BIDS 2005 and SQL Server 2008 Compatibility Issue

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item How to Resolve a BIDS 2005 and SQL Server 2008 Compatibility Issue

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• Thank you for the great article. I am sure that many will find it helpful. Recently I had some problems with my BI studio myself: I had created a SSRS report in 2005, and under no condition would that report run under 2008. A very sad story. I ended up re-creating the same report in 2008 just so I can release it...

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
    Albert Einstein

• Seems like a lot of trouble to go through. A better option would be to stand up a new 2008 test/upgrade environment on another server to allow developers to continue to support 2005 with their existing development environment. Alternatively if this is not possible, promote 2005 development to 2008 and leave the QA environment on 2005 to match production. The new 2008 replaces existing development upon production upgrade. QA is then upgraded shortly after production.

• Instead of creating new SPs (with old names) calling the existing ones (with new names), it would be better to create synonyms...

• I had to add the following stored procedure to be able to save in SSIS package

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[sp_dts_getfolder]

@name sysname,

@parentfolderid uniqueidentifier

AS

SELECT

folder.folderid,

folder.foldername,

folder.parentfolderid,

parent.foldername

FROM

sysssispackagefolders folder

LEFT OUTER JOIN

sysssispackagefolders parent

ON

folder.parentfolderid = parent.folderid

WHERE

folder.foldername = @name AND

(folder.parentfolderid = @parentfolderid OR

(@parentfolderid IS NULL AND folder.parentfolderid IS NULL))

• Good info. Still reeling under 2005 and only got couple of Dev servers in 2008. But it's good to know info before in time.

SQL DBA.

• Thanks for the article-- this was a lifesaver for me.

Same scenario as you, I believe: SQL2008 database but SQL 2005 SSIS packages that needed to be run. It's absurd that you had to create all those aliases; didn't Microsoft have any backward compatibility in mind on this subject?

• Mohan Kumar - Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:18 AM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item How to Resolve a BIDS 2005 and SQL Server 2008 Compatibility Issue

Hi,

I am trying to find the active SSIS packages from a big list in SSIS 2005 server. Using the trace to capture the execution of sp "sp_dts_getpackage", we were able to capture the execution times of DTS packages. But we also need to capture execution times of SSIS packages of 2005 as well. Would you know if the same sp is used in calling ssis packages also in SSIS 2005 ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply