How to reset the list of backup for a restore process?

• tilew-948340 (8/13/2012)

But... when you say "not SIMPLE database restore" you mean "not easy to do" or you reference to the type of DB (simple vs full)?

Not easy to do. Partial and piecemeal restores are more complex than a plain restore database and unless your DB has multiple filegroups and is in full recovery, they're probably not something you want to be doing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • tilew-948340 (8/13/2012)

Perry Whittle (8/13/2012)

use this to delete backup\restore history for a specific database

use msdb;

go

exec sp_delete_database_backuphistory @database_name = 'yourdbname'

Seems to do the job!!!!

Thank you very very much!!!

you're welcome

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• GilaMonster (8/14/2012)

tilew-948340 (8/13/2012)

But... when you say "not SIMPLE database restore" you mean "not easy to do" or you reference to the type of DB (simple vs full)?

Not easy to do. Partial and piecemeal restores are more complex than a plain restore database and unless your DB has multiple filegroups and is in full recovery, they're probably not something you want to be doing.

From what I have seen, I saw no difference between a "database restore" and a "files and filesGroup restore", except that the second one let me choose in the past... it is obvious I have a lots to learn and to experience on backup and restore process, isn't it?! I'll do my beast to get more "up-to-date" on backup and system functions on SQL in the next weeks or so...

thanks for your help!

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply