How to replace certain characters in coloumn during bulk update.

• Dears,

I am using the insert bulk command to upload date in one table using below code.

BULK INSERT Testdb.Sales.SalesOrderDetail

FROM '\\computer2\salesforce\dailyorderseworders.txt';

GO

While upload I want to replace ‘*’ in one column which is varchar.

Example: - My Column is 2345678987654321 and it can be any number, So I want to put ‘*’ after 6th number till 12th number, so the result will look like 234567******4321.

Do you think it’s possible?

Regards

NU

• Either change the source file before you import it or run an update afterwards.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks,

That's what I thought to do.

Is that possible to provide the update query will give me the desired results ?

• Without table names, data types, column names, not really. Look up substring. Couple of those should together do what you want. Or you could use LEFT and RIGHT instead of substring.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• nitinuniyal (10/27/2013)

While upload I want to replace ‘*’ in one column which is varchar.

Example: - My Column is 2345678987654321 and it can be any number, So I want to put ‘*’ after 6th number till 12th number, so the result will look like 234567******4321.

are these credit/payment card numbers that you are attempting to obfuscate by any chance??...just interested??

• J Livingston SQL (10/27/2013)

are these credit/payment card numbers that you are attempting to obfuscate by any chance??...just interested??

I seriously hope not. If they are, they should be getting encrypted, not obfuscated.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply