How to remove/uninstall Management Data Warehouse

• Hello,

I have tried to set up the Management Data Warehouse on one of our production servers, but it is not working (not collecting any data) so I want to completely remove it and try the installation again. There does not seem to be any remove/uninstall option.

Does anyone know how to completely remove the Management Data Warehouse?

Version:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64)

Mar 29 2009 10:11:52

Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation

Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

Thanks in advance.

• use master

go

drop database 'adv...dw'

----------
    Ashish

• I should be moere specific.

I know how to drop a database, but what I am after is how to remove everything that was set up when you run through the "Configure Data Management Warehouse" wizard from the Data Collection node in Management Studio.

For example, all the SQL Agent jobs, schedules, users and logins, and anything else.

• I would be interested in this too. Anyone got a script to remove the jobs, ssis pkgs, etc. ?

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• this is a real problem and many have complained! Don't use scripts to remove the default collection set jobs as you will have issues if you try to re enable PDC.

This is to be fixed in the next major release (apparently!!), see the following link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry, I voted on that link. I guess the idea of me ever using this in my Live environment is not going to happen anytime soon.

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• No problem, the annoying thing is there are other issues with PDC which aren't fixed until at least SP1 CU7.

Thing is it is a new technology in SQL server and will probably be a short while until they get it right. With every release I'm sure it will get better (hopefully)!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I found this article pretty helpful:

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2473/removing-the-sql-server-management-data-warehouse/

(It's by Aaron Bertrand / MVP...)

I used it on a test environment (phew) where I had activated MDW. Silly me. Should have known better...

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply