How to relocate the msmdsrv.ini file for OLAP

• We recently purchased a high-performance SAN and I'm in the process of migrating stuff off from the old SAN drives onto new ones.

Although I have moved the data OLAP onto one of the new SAN LUNs, I still have the Analysis Services configuration file located on an old drive, and I would like to move it.

If it matters, the SQL Server is clustered along with analysis services.

I'm hoping that this can be accomplished without needing to completely re-install it on both cluster nodes.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks!

• - Disconnect all users from the cube

- Open Analysis Manager

- Right-click on server name

- Open Properties and you will be able to see Data folder on General tab (typically c:\Program Files\Microsoft Analysis Services\Data)

- Copy all files and sub-folders of Data folder to new location (using Command Prompt or Windows Explorer)

- Go back to Analysis Manager and set path of Data folder to new location

- Restart Analysis Services

- Test new setup by querying OLAP databases/cubes

- If everything is OK, delete original Data folde

Greetz
    Query Shepherd

• many thanks for the advice Pizza!!!

I will give that a try and ping back here to let you and others know the results. It usually takes me a week to gain approval for a maintenance window on the prod cluster...

Larry

• Okay...a pingback would be nice...I know these problems...most of my work is done at night :D!

Greetz
    Query Shepherd

• I'll shoot something back to you! I actually just moved files to a new volume. I've updated Analysis Server Properties and moved all the files, even updated the Dump Directory in SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Everything works great...until....I try to delete the old olap folder. The msmdsrv.ini file at the old location is still being used by AS when the program starts. If I stop the service and rename this file, AS will not start. So somewhere in the config AS is still holding onto the location of this file which it depends on for start up.

Just don't have any idea where to find it. Any clues?

I definitely can't see the pizza for the toppings here.

• Hi,

please follow below steps

1-stop analysis Services on your New Server from SQL Server Configuration Manager and close SQL Server Configuration Manager

2-go to registry . START>RUN>regedit

3-in registry , go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSSQLServerOLAPService. and Edit the Image path as per your new path.

Hope this will help you.

regards,

Rizwan

• rizwankhalid214 (10/18/2013)

Hi,

please follow below steps

1-stop analysis Services on your New Server from SQL Server Configuration Manager and close SQL Server Configuration Manager

2-go to registry . START>RUN>regedit

3-in registry , go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MSSQLServerOLAPService. and Edit the Image path as per your new path.

Hope this will help you.

regards,

Rizwan

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I am working on an in-place upgrade from SQL Server 2012 Enterprise to SQL Server 2014 Enterprise, including an SSAS instance, and have been fighting with moving the files from the "11" folders to the "12" folders. I could not get the SSAS service to start after moving the files, and found the incorrect parameter in the Binary Path property of the service (under SQL Server Configuration Manager). I knew it must be in the registry somewhere because it was not in the msmdsrv.ini file.

Your post with the registry key saved me! I stopped the service, copied the \Config folder to the new location, made the change in the registry, and restarted the service successfully. I tested it by renaming the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS11.MSSQLSERVER to have a ".old" extension, which it let me do since there was no longer a lock on the path. 😀

J Pratt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply