How to receive Deadlock information automatically via email.

• I just tried that and also added the service account to the DatabaseMailUserProfile role in the msdb and that didnt make any difference either :crazy:

• Eureka! So I finally solved the issue - just by trail and error.

When I set the 'Run as user' to 'dbo' in the Job Step it runs without an error.

I can't explain why - but it works!

• Great.

Now let's hope you never actually get the email. 🙂

• It's triggered 3 times in the past 24 hours on our production server :sick:

• I am getting two different messages from this procedure. If I run the job I get this error, " Incorrect syntax near '%'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 102)."

If I run the select statement in a query window, I get this one, "Only one expression can be specified in the select list when the subquery is not introduced with EXISTS".

Here is the query from the job that is flagging these errrors:

@query = 'select logdate, procInfo, ERRORLOG from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog where Id >= (select TOP 1 Id from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog WHERE ERRORLOG Like ''%Deadlock encountered%'' order by Id DESC)',

I am running this on SQL2005.

Any ideas?

• Geoff, I implemented this and I receive the e-mails but the attachments always contain no data other than columns headers (sample below). Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks, Steve

logdate procInfo ERRORLOG

----------------------- ---------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(0 rows affected)

• u need to add (deadlock-list) in ----> Like ''''%Deadlock encountered%''''

in the below query.

@query = ''select logdate, procInfo, ERRORLOG from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog where Id >= (select TOP 1 Id from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog WHERE ERRORLOG Like ''''%Deadlock encountered%'''' order by Id DESC)'',

the correct query -

@query = ''select logdate, procInfo, ERRORLOG from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog where Id >= (select TOP 1 Id from tempdb.dbo.ErrorLog WHERE ERRORLOG Like ''''%deadlock-list%'''' order by Id DESC)'',

the reason behind this is the deadlock grap is not on in your production server .

• Will performance be affected by a significant amount by utilising this job? Thanks

• Only one thin Alert notifier=> response =>Excute job which job is selected...

• Nice post geoff. Does anyone think using DBmail hence getting your sql server to send mails, is a security risk?

At my current place we seems to have .net utility that just sends mail with some parameters where you define osql or sqlcmd commands with the query you use to do any checks.. we seem to use batch files that include all this via scheduled tasks..

we have of course 2005 farm.

What do people think of this approach?

• Don't forget that in SQL 2005 +, that the default trace (which starts automatically) captures deadlock graph information. So you can set up a job that fires when this event is raised, and just query that trace file to get the deadlock graph.

If you need help viewing the deadlock graph or figuring out what is going on, I have some code in the "Code Library" section of my blog for reading the deadlock graph and presenting the information in tabular form. It can be found here[/url]. This code shows how to get the deadlock graph from the default trace - you could use this in the routine that sends you the notification email.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I made it about two years ago with i found it in msdn your method is very nice too.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186385.aspx

• Nice article Geoff, I would like to request can u please help us to implement this type of deadlock alert notification proactively rather than re-actively.

• abhijitshedulkar (9/23/2012)

Nice article Geoff, I would like to request can u please help us to implement this type of deadlock alert notification proactively rather than re-actively.

How would you get a deadlock alert notification proactively? In order for it to be proactive you'd have to get the alert BEFORE the deadlock occurs. I don't think that is possible. An expert could probably come in and do a code review and point to areas that could be prone to deadlocks.

• This is great and helpful, however, we had to go a little further. We have a severe load of code production deployments as our DBA responsibilities, so we are not always available to deal with Head Blocks right away, but just as soon as possible. Also, Head BLocks occurred as normal part of different processes and they last for a matter of a few seconds, so we do not need to know about all head blocks, but the long lasting ones. So for coping both needs, to be able to check later on and to report only the long lasting ones, we created a process that logs the Activity monitor entries (all columns) for head blocks to a table, and specific code process email alerts for only head blocks longer that 5 minutes. Furthermore, saving historical has increased our Knowledge of what goes on in many other counters, which opens a wide range of possibilities for activity research, analysis, and subsequent corrective actions.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply