how to really patch a 24/7 always on

• hi guys,

i have a 2 node AlwaysOn. i need some confirmation on the step on how to keep the service still up while u go about patching it.

1. all backup are up to dates.
    2. switch from automatic failover to manual
    3. verify sync is ok
    4. patch secondary replica
    5. reboot secondary replica
    6. switch AOGP to secondary replica ( as a primary replica)
    7. switch from automatic failover to manuel
    8. patch secondary replica (previously is in primary replica)
    9. reboot secondary replica
    10. failover AOGP back to the original node
    11. switch failover group from manuel to automatic

just wondering is there a glitch or any disconnection from the applications services when i do a failover of the AOGP?

my data-transfer mode is synchronous-commit.

•  

• The failover will cause disconnects on the application side. That's unavoidable. However, the overall down time will be very small. In flight transactions will be lost. All committed transactions will be saved.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• since is unavoidable, how long a gap can i allow before doing a final patch on the Primary node, after a week ? ( while the rest of the secondary nodes are already in higher patch level)

• You should really be keeping things insync, so I would do both nodes at the same time.  You never know what will happen so if a patch fixes a bug and you fail back due to hardware/failure level conditions to an unpatched node your back in broken territory.

Your applications need to be using connection retry logic to keep polling for a connection should their existing one be broken.  That way yes you will have a few seconds of downtime while the replicas switch roles but the end user is none the wiser.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply