how to re-start sql server 2000

• Hi all,

Initially I register my server(in enterprise manager) with window connection and it worked fine.

One month later I my reset my windows password(have to reset every month), my sql server 2000 cannot start any more, it always pop up "service didn't start because of log on failure". I log on my OP system already. What should I do in order to register another server ( I delete the original registration since it uses old windows password and it doesn't work any more)or reset it to sql server connection, that way I don' t have to worry about the password expiration problem.

I don't know what to do, when I register in enterprise manager, it always says connection failed since sql server is not started yet. but how do  I start it in this case?

Please help.

Thank you.

Betty

• You should always create a windows account with password set to 'does not expire' as a service account for starting the SQL Server and SQL Agent services; otherwise, everytime you change your windows login password, you will also need to change the service account password (assuming both are the same account).

• Hi Paul,

Can you tell me the detailed steps how to set this kind of account?

Thank you.

Betty

• Betty....

The reason SQL Server is not starting now is because when you first installed the server, your account that installed it had a different pwd.  When SQL server was installed, windows created the service to start with your current login credentials (which has now changed).  To rectify this:

1. Open up your Services applet. (Start--> Settings --> ControlPanel --> Administrative Tools --> Services) 
    2. Double-click the SQL server service (MSSQLServer)
    3. Goto the Log-On tab, you probably have the Log on as: This account (your domain\bsun) selected.
    4. Change the password fields (both of them ) to your current password and click the OK button.
    5. Right click on the MSSQLServer service and select start.  The SQL server should now start.

You can start your server this way, but you have to correct this every month when your password expires.  To do it the right way, you can either do

• Select the "Local System account" under the Log On tab of the MSSQL Server services property page

OR

• create a new user (Start--> Settings--> ControlPanel --> AdministrativeTools--> Computer Management--> System Tools --> Local Users and Groups--> Users)  Right click on RH window, select "New User" and make sure that the "Password never expires" is checked when you do this.
    • Then go back to the services applet and make sure that the MSSQLService uses this account to start up.

You won't have this problem again.

Hope this helps.

Kishore

• Thank you very very much, Kishore.

Very clear and informative. I will do that and I don't want to be bothered any more.

Betty

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply