How to programmatically register a remote SQL Server?

• Many thanks for any input in advance.

• This information is stored in the registry so you have to manipulate teh registry to do this. That's not something I would recommend to anyone unless they really know what they are doing.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• i know you can export the registry key and port it to other machines;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X\SQL Server Group], but to add the items via a program would basically just be adding to that registry key; i'm not sure but maybe you can put it under default user registry key so that it appears for everyone. HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• just wanted to confirm you must write to the registry at [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X\SQL Server Group],

adding it to the .Default does not work, so forget that idea.

much easier to simply copy that registry as a model, fiddle with it by using one of the keys as a specific model to add other servers, and then register the file, or write directly to the registry.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply