How to ping a SQL Server datbase?

• i have 30 databases in 5 iInstances. (2 are sql server 2000 and 3 are sql server 2005) i want to ping all the databases for every 15 min. through a job to know that all the databases are online. how to do that? can any body help me?

• theres an application out there called What's Up!, which does what you are asking for...tests servers and services on those servers, and notifies people if anything goes down.

last i heard that app was free, and there was a more enhanced version you could pay for.

to do it yourself,

i think once you connect you don't have to worry about specific databases, so SELECT @@VERSION is enough to test the SQL server, but you could simply run SELECT @@VERSION FROM EachLinkedServer.DATABASE1.sys.tables on each linked server to test connectivity to a db as well.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Create linked servers to each of your instances and run the following code on them:

Here is the Status column description:

1 = autoclose; set with ALTER DATABASE.

4 = select into/bulkcopy; set with ALTER DATABASE RECOVERY.

8 = trunc. log on chkpt; set with ALTER DATABASE RECOVERY.

16 = torn page detection, set with ALTER DATABASE.

32 = loading.

64 = pre recovery.

128 = recovering.

256 = not recovered.

512 = offline; set with ALTER DATABASE.

1024 = read only; set with ALTER DATABASE.

2048 = dbo use only; set with ALTER DATABASE RESTRICTED_USER.

4096 = single user; set with ALTER DATABASE.

32768 = emergency mode.

4194304 = autoshrink , set with ALTER DATABASE.

1073741824 = cleanly shutdown.

QUIGROUP- Need a Certified experienced DBA for a project or troubleshooting? Need help with programming, database recovery, performance tuning, ETL, SSRS or developing new databases? Contact us.. 1-786-273-9809

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply