How to permanently pin query windows in SSMS?

• My version of SSMS is 17.9.1.

It can display only up to 4 tab headers horizontally. In most of the cases I need more than that. What I do is I go through all and pin all of them. They appear in 2 or 3 or even more rows. But is there a setting in SSMS to make all new query windows "pre-pinned"?

Thanks

• These are the only options for pinned status that I can find.

• Show pinned tabs in a separate row
    • Show pin button in unpinned tabs
    • Maintain pinned status if document is removed from well.

One thing that I found helped was to only display the filename in the tab text.  I have my tabs color-coded for specific databases (using SQL Prompt) and the server, user name, and database also show in the status bar, so I don't need any of them in the tab text, especially since I moved the status bar to the top.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• "... since I moved the status bar to the top..."

genius, didn't even know that was possible.

SQL Guy 1 - use horizontal or vertical groups to separate groups of your tabs, might help. You can also use the drop down arrow on the far right to see all the tabs you have open, assuming you have them saved with an informative name. SQL Query 7 isn't real helpful when you just open a new connection, but saving it off with even a temp name to a throwaway location might help you keep track better.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply