How to perform security assessment for any application

• Hi,

I need some help on security. Checking if any Security experts can guide me here.

How to do a Security assessment for an database application?

What are things to have it in out checklist?

What are features we can rely on to improve security for sql server? I am working on sql server 2008 environment.

Appreciate your help. Thank you.

• vsamantha35 (10/4/2014)

Hi,

I need some help on security. Checking if any Security experts can guide me here.

How to do a Security assessment for an database application?

What are things to have it in out checklist?

What are features we can rely on to improve security for sql server? I am working on sql server 2008 environment.

Appreciate your help. Thank you.

Quick thought, there are some solid guidelines available, suggest you start by searching for "database security assessment" and "database security guidelines".

Would recommend bringing in an expert as the topic is wast and somewhat complex, a quick high level (incomplete) outline: Windows (Host OS) security, Network (topological, protocols, segmentation, access limitations etc.), SQL Server (users, privileges, authentication mode, defaults etc.), Physical (if applicable), Application (authentication, session control, parametrization, query construction etc.).

There can be and often is a thin line between security and usability, far too often one finds the former being relaxed for the benefit of the latter.

😎

• Thank you for the suggestion Eiriksson. I will check online as suggested.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply