How to output everything to a log file in Invoke-SqlCmd

• I have powershell script to run database scripts below, but I can't get it to output to my logfile the "..x row(s) affected"(the messages that you see in SSMS) output whether I run an update, delete, etc against it. Do you know what parameters I am missing?

I've seen this work in the regular sqlcmd in a batch file, but don't know why it doesnt work in the invoke-sqlcmd.

$logfile = Join-Path "logs" $("deployment.txt")

Invoke-SqlCmd -InputFile $script -Database $database -ServerInstance $server -OutputSqlErrors:$true -Verbose 2>&1 | Tee-Object -variable thost | Add-Content $logfile

write-host $thost

Thanks!

• Hi rnunez,

I have tried this for a long time. According to the help of invoke-sqlcmd

Invoke-Sqlcmd does not return message output, such as the output of PRINT statements, unless you use the PowerShell -Verbose parameter.

even using -verbose, it will only show the print command. So one way is you change the script to use print and @@rowcount, something like :

insert into teste (codigo) values ('test')

PRINT 'RowsAffectd - ' + CAST(@@ROWCOUNT AS VARCHAR(10))

delete from teste

and use start-transcript and stop-transcript

Start-Transcript c:\temp\output.txt

invoke-sqlcmd........-verbose

Stop-Transcript

This is the way I did. Maybe could be better way , but I still do not know 🙁

I really hope someone has a better solution 🙂

$hell your Experience !!![/url]

• Sorry for the delay in the post. For some reason, I didn't get an email when you replied.

Thanks, I will your suggestion!

• The following post should give a full explanation on the topic:
    http://ariely.info/Blog/tabid/83/EntryId/214/How-to-control-the-output-of-a-QUERIES-including-the-PRINT-statement-and-ERROR-massages-using-PowerShell.aspx

Senior consultant and architect, data platform and application development, Microsoft MVP.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply