How to Move SQL 2005 Reporting to another SQL 2005 Server

• Hello Everyone,

Has anyone moved report(s) and data sources from one SQL 2005 server to another? I need to move all report(s) and everything else to a production server. Looking for a tool but can't seem to locate any.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Rudy

Rudy

• If you build your reports in a Visual Studio project, you can deploy them from VS.

See here for details

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the reports are built with BIDS.

Rudy

Rudy

• Since BIDS is basically a part of Visual Studio I would expect that the procedure should be the same.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I have looked at the MS link and it seems a lot of work for a DBA, is there any tools to help with the relocation of reports?

I have found a free tool call Reporting Service Scripter (sqldbatips.com) but as wondering what everyone else does/uses to promote/move reports/datasources to there production servers.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• We are using Visual Studio 2005 to develop and all the reports are in a package with a data source. Once it is ready for testing, we forward the project file to the test group and they deploy into their SQL Server instance for reports. Once testing is completed, the project goes to the production team for deployment.

This is a desirable method of deployment, because it is quick and easy. The two places I have worked since SSRS came out have both used this.

Another method we had evaluated was to backup and restore the database, but we never went down that road to see what problems would happen. It could somehow tie the reports to the database name or something off-the-wall.

For onesy's and twosy's, you could deploy the rdl file with Report Manager, but again, my job consists many reports.

-- Al

• Reporting Services Scripter (RSScripter) is the best and most flexible tool to use.

http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=62

http://www.sqldbatips.com/samples/code/RSScripter/readme.htm

• Thanks for the information. Playing with the RSScripter now. Thx!

Rudy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply