How to move an entire SQL Server 2000 installation to a new server

• Hi All,

A situation has come up where I have to move my entire SQL Server 2000 instance to a new machine. This particular instance hosts 3 databases. One is being published for transactional replication(push) and another is receiving published articles from a different machine(pushed from the other machine).

Normally I would just do a backup and restore to move a database. However, in this case...I would lose all of the existing replication that is already setup in addition to exisitng server level settings which would need to be re-created manually. I need to move the entire instance and everything that goes with it.

I found a good article by

Narayana Vyas Kondreddi (http://vyaskn.tripod.com/moving_sql_server.htm) suggesting a plan to do this but it does not go into great detail about the replication part.

Has anyone had any experience moving a complete SQL Server instance? Does the one I mentioned above seem like a good solution?

I just wanted to get some feedback before I attempted a test run myself. If you need any additional info please let me know.

I'd appreciate any feedback...

Thanks!

John

• You don't say what your restrictions are, so the easiest thing you can do is :

1) stop SQL server on source and destination servers

2) copy all the databases and log files across to the destination server

3) start SQL server on the destination server

4) switch off the source server

5) rename the destination server with the same name and IP address as the source server.

If you can't rename the destination server you will have to change the server name in the 'originating_server' column of the sysjobs system table on the msdb database. I am not sure what you will have to change in the distribution configuration, but you can find out by scripting out the distribution 'Create' and seeing where the server name is mentioned.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Peter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply