How to modify query to only use base tables

• I'm new to SQL so I'm not really sure what to do.

Also not sure if I'm on the right forum for this, If not I'm sorry.

I'm trying to modify this:

SELECT *

FROM Product

WHERE SuppNo = 'S3399214'

AND ProdPrice >= 300;

• allenjoey24 (12/18/2016)

I'm new to SQL so I'm not really sure what to do.

Also not sure if I'm on the right forum for this, If not I'm sorry.

I'm trying to modify this:

SELECT *

FROM Product

AND ProdPrice >= 300;

Your query looks like it should run OK. What problem are you having? What do you mean by 'base table'?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• LOL that is what I thought! But the textbook I'm reading wants me to query and "modify it somehow so that it uses base tables only". I'm not really sure what a base table is.

An internet definition I came across says

"A base table is a physical structure that contains stored records. This structure can have any physical format as long as it can be presented to the user as a collection of rows and columns."

But I don't think that's helpful.

LOL that is what I thought! But the textbook I'm reading wants me to query and "modify it somehow so that it uses base tables only". I'm not really sure what a base table is.

An internet definition I came across says

"A base table is a physical structure that contains stored records. This structure can have any physical format as long as it can be presented to the user as a collection of rows and columns."

But I don't think that's helpful.

Your table "Product" is the base table and even fits the description you provided.

Is it possible that you need to modify the query to create a view that references base tables?

• I think that might be what it meant. So is it asking me to modify my queries so that instead of referencing a column on a table like Table.Column to just Table. Not sure if I'm making sense.

The question was

"For the query in problem 5, modify the query so that it uses base tables only. "

If I'm already using a base table, does that mean that I already completed the problem?

I think that might be what it meant. So is it asking me to modify my queries so that instead of referencing a column on a table like Table.Column to just Table. Not sure if I'm making sense.

The question was

"For the query in problem 5, modify the query so that it uses base tables only. "

If I'm already using a base table, does that mean that I already completed the problem?

If a view is required this is the Code:

CREATE VIEW vw_product

AS

SELECT *

FROM Product

AND ProdPrice >= 300;

SELECT * FROM vw_product;

If the solution requires only a query on the base tables then your initial query is the answer.

• It didn't say anything about turning it into a view, I appreciate your help.

Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? I have two other questions that are just like that one. The other two tables have INNER JOINS in them, would that still count as a base table?

• what text book are you reading...?

• Database Design, application development, and Administration by Mannino

• I must admit that this time I have no idea what is expected. The query is OK, so I am not sure what else could be expected....

• From what we know, we can't assume that Product is a table and not a view. What does this query return?SELECT

SCHEMA_NAME(schema_id) + '.' + name AS ObjectName

,'View' AS ObjectType

FROM sys.views

WHERE name = 'Product'

UNION ALL

SELECT

SCHEMA_NAME(schema_id) + '.' + name

,'Table'

FROM sys.tables

WHERE name = 'Product'

John

• I did not think of that...that would make a lot of sense....

I think that might be what it meant. So is it asking me to modify my queries so that instead of referencing a column on a table like Table.Column to just Table. Not sure if I'm making sense.

The question was

what does the "query in problem 5" look like?

• Is product not possibly a view?

• I think if you wanted a correct answer, you will have to post the full question. In what you gave, I will have to assume that Product is not an actual table, but a view. My reasoning being that a base table is the actual table, not derived or otherwise.

That said, learn not to use "SELECT *" and learn to add the schema "dbo."

SELECT SuppNo, Product, (Other columns)

FROM dbo.Product

AND ProdPrice >= 300;

"SELECT *" is ok when running ad-hoc queries, but should not be used in permanent code. The "dbo." part helps SQL to determine "which schema" faster.

Sorry for repeating... Did not read all the comments.

5ilverFox
    Consulting DBA / Developer
    South Africa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply