How to model this...

• Let's say the main fact table stores financial agreements, along with various attributes and measures, like the lender, the amount loaned, the amount still owed, etc....

We have a fairly well working DW whereby the one and only fact table models the above.

But for some financial agreements, the agreement isn't a monetary loan but an asset finance agreement, so the agreement will also have assets relating to it. For example such an agreement might be for 10 office printers, or 5 mercedes sprinter vans, etc. Or just for 1 photocopier.

How can i best model the storage of the 0 or more assets per financial agreement?

Having a Dimension.Asset would do it, but I'd need multiple columns in the fact table to accommodate however many assets that may be. I don't really want the unknown number of columns relating to Dimension.Asset.

What's the best Kimball/star schema methodology for this?

• Response duplicated for some reason...please see the other response.

• In my opinion, create a dimension for Financial Agreements. The dimension would contain all descriptive attributes of the agreement. Create a separate dimension for Asset, which can either have the granularity of "Asset Type" (i.e. one record for each type of asset) or a record for each asset on a financial agreement (if there are any).

With the above dimensions, the grain of your fact table would change to a record for each asset contained within the agreement. If it's a monetary only agreement there will be one fact record pointing to the default record of the Asset dimension, and if there are assets there would a a row for each asset (or asset type depending on the grain of our dimension).

This is all just a theoretical answer of course. Without knowing more about the data and good examples of reporting requirements it is difficult to give you better direction in terms of the ideal design.

• Thank you for the reply and understanding my design puzzle. I understand what you've suggested, but i think that would then end up doubling/tripling/X-ling the various fact measures i have for an agreement when it has 2 or more assets....?

• Sure, you're adding rows to the fact table but ultimately it will keep the fact table narrow and you're aggregating a single fact attribute.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply