How to migrate packages and triggers using SSMA?

• I need to migrate triggers and packages from oracle 9i to sql server 2000 using SSMA tool.

please help me with the steps involved.

Thanks

• This is an extremely complex and detailed area and I doubt that any forum can supply the kind of extensive customized support that you need and should be receiving if you have not already technically prepared yourself thoroughly for this.

Microsoft has a lot of documentation on this at MSDN, however off the top of my head (I have not done this in a while):

1) download & install SSMS v1

2) connect to the Oracle Source and then to the SS2000 target

3) Select the Oracle schema objects to be migrated and run the Migration Analyzer, this will produce a Migration Report which will let you know what can be automatically converted, and how much manual work there is.

4) use this to estimate your migration costs & timelines; build your plan from this.

5) Run the Schema Migrator to generate your new SS2000 objects

6) Run the Data Migrator to move the data.

7) Run the Migration Tester, to test the data/functionality on SS2000.

I can tell you, however. that Triggers & Packages are two of the problem areas:

-- SqlServer dows not have Row-level triggers like Oracle; these get transformed in After triggers with Cursors(!); you should consider manulally rewriting these.

-- SqlServer has no equivalent of Packages. All of the components and functionality will get converted, but they will not be "Packages" on the SqlServer side.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply