How To Mess Up An Interview

• I have to agree with Darrell - can anyone possibly take this article as anything more than a joke? It is childish, poorly written, and not good advice in any way.

• Well, perhaps I should have said "satire, if that was what was intended", but how could it not be?  At least that was my take.

But in any case, this guy sure stirred the ant pile.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• > Well, perhaps I should have said "satire, if that was what was intended", but how could it not be?  At least that was my take.

Sometimes, when something sounds insulting, it's an insult, and intended as such.

• sswords - this article has definitely turned out to be a pandora's box - the scariest thing is that the "kumbaya factor" that some of us shared has vanished in a jiffy - it's amazing how 2 people can look at the same thing and have completely opposing views!

The only way I've been able to keep some of my friends by my side is by a mutual agreement to never discuss religion or politics - though I still cannot fathom how this article got hued with "satanic verses" overtones or became a cause for the gay rights' activists!!!

Maybe it's time for the "group hug" that GPF^.. advocated a long time ago in another post - maybe we can all be "Christian" & "Charitable" and forgive Sean for he "intended not what he said" (& also forgive you for being left-handed ) - at the risk of alienating my friends on this site who feel differently - I didn't see anything offensive about this article except for some off-colour humour and immature use of the word "gay"! What I am appalled by is how this is turning out to be some sort of a witch-hunt...talk about the rabble being roused...

Hare Krishna!!! Hare Krishna!!!

ps: forgot I told myself to keep away from this thread - too late now!

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Others have already expressed this observation, so I'll just lend my voice behind it; I think it is ludicrously hypocritical to suggest profanity and obscenities have their proper place in an interview, but a kindly "God Bless You" does not.

• > maybe we can all be "Christian" & "Charitable" and forgive Sean for he "intended not what he said"...

Has he asked for forgiveness?

> at the risk of alienating my friends on this site who feel differently - I didn't see anything offensive about this article except for some off-colour humour and immature use of the word "gay"! What I am appalled by is how this is turning out to be some sort of a witch-hunt...talk about the rabble being roused...

If someone insults Christians, that's okay.

If a Christian notices and objects, that's a witch hunt.

• I've been a lurker on this site for at least 3 years. It's amazing on the extremes this article produced. It's almost reminiscent of the 1992 campaign when on July 11 Ross Perot gave the NAACP speech in which he referred to "you people" and lost a chunk of voters.

I'm certain Sean wasn't trying to be offensive, however it is obvious that more than a few voters, um, I mean tech people were offended. With the SSC forum being a microcosm of the "real" world, this serves as a great example of Sean's paraphrased advise: "know your interviewer" before you open your mouth". Perhaps he should have heeded his own advise. It certainly makes for lively discussion.

RB

• why is 'God bless you' seen as a specific reference to Christians ?! My mother says that all the time and she's about as Christian as I am the Dalai Lama!

No - Sean has not asked for forgiveness - but he has tried to explain why he said what he did but he's obviously whistling in the wind! And No - it is not okay to insult ANYBODY - not just Christians - but Sean has tried to explain that that wasn't his intention..but again - I fall back on cliches here..."there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see"...what exactly does the "opposition" want - a written apology issued to all who were offended by this - his head on a platter - banishment from the kingdom of SSC - WHAT ??????? Or is it that "freedom of speech" thing - Sean's had his say so I'll have mine - in which case, it's okay - we'll all know that spleens are being vented - no more, no less!

if 2 people do not see eye to eye on something then the best thing to do is to amicably agree to disagree and move on - not "pluck out the eye that offends thee"...oops - I'm losing control of my thoughts and that's never a good thing...

Incidentally, do Christians only forgive when forgiveness is sought...?!?!

PAX! - don't really want to pursue this much further - for it's a waste of time and energy - I've always adopted the median path (in Life) for I've learnt the hard way that arguing with someone over a topic where "never shall the 'twain meet" is just not worth the effort it takes or the ill-feelings it fosters..

• > It certainly makes for lively discussion.

True, true.  For myself, I never quite know how to respond in such situations.  On the one hand, I don't share your confidence that the intention was not to be offensive.  On the other hand, what is a Christian response to such insult?  It's pretty clear to me, for example, that Jesus would not defend Himself under such circumstances -- before Herod and Pilate, He raised not a word in His own defense.  It is definitely wrong for folks like myself to take *personal* offense at such talk -- as I have been doing, unfortunately, with great abandon.  And for that, I apologize to the readers of this discussion.

On the other hand, where does it stop?  I don't know perfectly when, or how, to raise the objection that something falls short of what I consider to be civil discourse.  I think a simple, straightforward, "I don't care to read such talk," would have worked well, made the point, and not overdramatized the issue.

But there comes a point when such objections must be raised -- not in anger, but raised nonetheless.  I don't know where precisely to draw the line, but in my opinion this article stepped across it.

• Hi All,

Here's the thing.  I like SSC.  I like Sean.  I think http://dbarant.blogspot.com is great.  I was even reading it while I was on vacation in Ireland.

If a colleague or a friend says something that insults me: be it my religion, my culture, my family - whatever - I will let them know.  That's how you maintain a real relationship.  If I didn't esteem Sean or SSC, why would I care what they said or published?  I assume they care what I think.  Acting on that assumption, I have let them know what I think.

Sean and SSC publish, at the simplest level, for a reason.  To be read.  I enjoy being a reader.

I simply cannot continue to read Sean or SSC if expressions of faith are characterized as "crap"?

Is this zealotry?  Please!  It is simply a request for common courtesy.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Peace out.

Chuck

chuck_boyce@sqlpass.org

http://chuckboyce.blogspot.com/

• I promised I wasn't going to post again because you guys are just taking this way too far.

But I do have to ask this question:

Don't you think it's funny that everyone's getting on me about making a couple off-hand jokes and being unprofessional by even suggesting that it might be ok to curse in an interview, yet a number of my detractors have actually used profanity, and in one case, very extreme profanity in this thread, and nobody... NOBODY has said anything about it?

So these sensitive x-tians, and extremely professional people find the suggestion of profanity to be obscene, but actual profanity seems to be ok.  I suppose as long as it's used to discuss me it's ok.

I have yet to curse here, or in the piece that you people only skimmed, and I'm still the only one being beaten up for profanity.

You know what... life Is grand!

Sean McCown

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
    http://MidnightDBA.com
    Blog Author of:
    DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

• - this's what happens when feelings are bottled up for too long - the floodgates open!!!

Sean - you can always go back and delete the extra posts! - notice that you've done that already!

• "A foul mouth proceeds from the rotting stench of a decaying heart."

That one's for free from my pastor's sermon last week.

• That's gross dude...

Watch my free SQL Server Tutorials at:
    http://MidnightDBA.com
    Blog Author of:
    DBA Rant – http://www.MidnightDBA.com/DBARant

Minion Maintenance is FREE:

• I love it.

Sean you're a legend. Keep up the good work. If you ever come to Aus we'd love to meet you.

God bless the rest of you.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 177 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply