How to make a Business Intelligence

• Can anyone give me a step by step procedure on making business intelligence? I mean what will i do first I have a database and i do not know what will I do first..

thanks for the reply

• That very much depends on what you want. Business Intelligence isn't a product. It's a term encompassing a several different products and technologies.

Could you please give a little more info on what you're trying to do?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am trying to make a business intelligence for our system called maximo, the said system can produce job order fro the repairs and maintenance of the vehicle. I want to make a business intelligence for the tearly cost of repairs and maintenance.

Thanks for the reply

• Hi,

Can you specify what specific tool would you want to use? Coz there are different tools that you can use for business Intelligence.

* Microsoft SQL Server 2005 (SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio)

* Cognos

* Informatica

* Microstrategy

* Hyperion

etc....

FYI the one that i'm using is the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio...

🙂

• I want to use ms sql server business intelligence, the one that you use.

Thnaks

• Have you tried Microsoft's Project REAL—Business Intelligence in Practice

at http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/bi/projectreal.mspx

It's where I started....

Steve

• Steps:

1) Learn Business Intelligence, what it is, what it can do. ( I recommend focusing on Data Warehouses and Data Mining)

2) Identify BI Goals. What, specifically, do you want to look at? What are you trying to measure? To forcast? Other than the buzz word, why is your company moving to BI?

3) Choose your tools. You can't say "I am going to use this" before you know what you need. Look at as many options as you can.

4) Learn the tool. For the most part your BI tools should be built the same.

5) Scope the project. Identify what resources you need. Get buy in from key managers. CREATE A PROJECT PLAN.

6) Follow the project plan! Keep your end goals (from 2) in mind. If at the end of the day you end up with something that does not meet those goals than your project is a failure.

7) Review! Are you where you need to be? Is your end result flexible enough to change with the business? Do the right people know how to use it? Training on the front end tools for your end users should have been in your project plan.

As you see, there is no "simple" recipe. But, if you follow these steps, you should have a stable system that, if used right, will provide an excellent ROI.

• The above steps are good, but I would modify as follows:

1. Don't worry about data mining for the moment.

2. When you focus on what you want to measure, put the most focus on the level that you want to measure at. Make sure you understand what level of granularity means from your research. If you read and understand Ralph Kimball, this shouldn't be a problem.

3. This is a good topic in light of today's editorial. Read that. Share it with your boss.

• wallydelgado (7/1/2008)

I want to use ms sql server business intelligence, the one that you use.

Thnaks

Hi,

First of all you may want to have an installer of Microsoft SQL Server 2005. The one that I'm using is Standard Edition. You can download that via Internet though it will take a day to download the product (of course if the transfer rate of your computer is faster, it would be less than 24 hours :))

In that product you will use SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) (for database) and SQL Server BUsiness Intelligence Development Studio (for ETL and report).

Before you procede with SQL BIDS you must first have your database in SSMS so that you can connect to your database when creating an SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) for Extraction, Transformation, & Loading (ETL) or SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) for report.

🙂

• Thanks to all of you, It helps me alot! 🙂

• To anyone interested in getting started with Business Intelligence, here is a series of screencasts that introduce you to the various Microsoft software and how they fit together:

http://channel9.msdn.com/tags/Business+Intelligence/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply