How to know a server have dual/quad core?

• Perry Whittle (7/31/2008)

Gordon (7/30/2008)

Perry, can you elaborate a bit more on which part of the CIMV2 you used?

WIN32_Processor, as i pointed out previously this class returns an instance for each core that is present. It doesnt say there are X number of cores but rather provides data on each core it finds. Download and use the WMICodeCreator, its very handy for exposing WMI classes

Did you use something other than NumberOfProcessors & NumberOfCores on the non-Vista/2008 systems? Those objects aren't available on anything under Vista/2008...

Your friendly High-Tech Janitor... 🙂

• I've also have used the exact Intel utility Michael suggest many times and it clearly lists the processors, cores and whether it is hyper threading or not. Very easy. I get it from here;

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/articles/eng/2728.htm

Tim White

• I've had this snippet for a while, which i thought gets the number of processors on the server. this is the physical number of processors, and not whether they are dual core or not, as the licensing only counts number of physical processors, right?

--edited--

i tested this on my single processor quad core CPU...it returns 2 processors, which is incorrect.

I'll leave the code for reference, but it's not completely accurate, it seems.

--end edit--

[font="Courier New"]

-- Get the number of processors that the server has

DECLARE @NumProcs INT

EXEC MASTER..xp_regread

@rootkey = 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',

@key = 'SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager',

@value_name = 'RegisteredProcessors',

@value = @NumProcs OUTPUT

SELECT @NumProcs

SELECT CONVERT(VARCHAR,ISNULL(@NumProcs,'0')) + ' processors are installed on ' + ISNULL(@@servername,'local')[/font]

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• In addition to CPUz mentioned earlier, Intel offers a utility called CPUCount.exe that reports on number of cores and threads (hyper-threading) on the system - total and per processor socket, as well as hyper-threading status (enabled / disabled / not possible).

The WMI solution mentioned is good, but must be understood in the context of the OS version and its limitations. Windows Server 2003 / XP and earlier reported each hyperthread or core as a separate CPU, with no way to distinguish which is which (and how many processor sockets are present - for Microsoft licensing purposes). Windows Server 2008 / Vista reports each core as a processor (no longer reports hyperthreads as separate processors), but may still lack the reporting of processor sockets.

Scott R.

• I got the same returns as Manu.

When I used the script provided by Perry Whittle, I could not be able to locate NumberOfCores and NumberOfLogicalProcessors properties in Win32_Processor Class.

It seems to me, at this moment, that we could either refer to vendors or use the third party tool to obatin information.

Many thanks for all of your inputs.

• This is a bug in Windows 2003 SP2. There's a hotfix for this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932370/

After applying this hotfix you can query NumberofCores correctly.

• Thought I'd add to this old post for anyone else that searches - XP SP3 contains the properties in WMI. Has anyone tested in the latest version of Windows Server 2003? We're considering applying the patch...

• Just tested on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 box - properties are not available....patch time 🙂

• Licensing depends on the # of physical processors which is = to the # of proc slots on motherboard.

Easiest thing to do is if Dell Server, Start-All Programs- Dell Openmanage Applications- Server Administrator, explore to Processors where it shows you the # of processors & core count. # of processors = physical procs = lic. answer

# of processors * core count = Virtual procs which you see in Device Manager or msinfo32.

Other cool Tool for # of processors is http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

• The way I've been handling processor count thus far (cores really counts more toward Oracle installs) is to query the Win32_Processor Class and count unique SocketDesignation properties. This works regardless of whether you have the extra properties - as all logicals and cores will have the same SocketDesignation.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply