transactions(Try, commit and rollback)

• Ignore post

• That really depends on what you are trying to do.  If it was me, and just guessing based on a lot of the variable names and trying to eyeball that wall of text, I'd RETURN if the number of errors was greater than 0.  If there is an error in the data, you likely don't want to keep going.  But maybe you do?

I do not see a place where I would worry about a TRY from looking at that code as I don't see any places offhand (without knowing the source data structure that is) that would benefit from using a try.  But tossing a transaction around the update and insert is probably a good idea; or maybe even around the entire thing?

If you did want to put a TRY in, I'd probably say to toss it in on the UPDATE and/or INSERT portions of the code and rollback on a catch... but again, it depends on what you are trying to do.  There is nothing in there that NEEDS it to have a TRY, COMMIT or ROLLBACK.

There is a few things I'd change about the code (like being consistent... you have SET for some of the @total variables and SELECT for others).

Why/where are you thinking a TRY...CATCH block would be helpful?

Where are you thinking that you need to put a transaction around this?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Could you provide the definitions for the tables that you reference?  Is there an integer identity primary key on id in the student table?

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• Deleting your post after others have taken the time to respond, and not even thanking them, is rather rude in my opinion.

So here is a copy of the original, as received by e-mail, in case others are interested:

Create procedure dbo.student
    AS
    BEGIN
    SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE
    @TotalUpdate BIGINT = 0,
    @TotalInserted BIGINT = 0,
    @TotalErrors INT = 0

create table #std(
    id varchar (10) NULL,
    StudentName nvarchar(50) NULL)

insert into #std
    (
    id
    ,StudentName)
    select
    id
    ,StudentName
    from temp.student std
    where std.isflag = 'Y'

insert into dbo.errortable
    (
    id
    ,StudentName)
    select
    id
    ,StudentName
    from temp.student std2
    where std2.id not in (select disitnct id from #std)
    and not exists (select 1 from dbo.errortable er
    where std2.id = er.id)

select @TotalErrors = @@Rowcount

update sd
    set
    id = tmp.ID
    ,StudentName = tmp.StudentName
    ,modifieddate = getdate()
    from dbo.student sd
    join #std tmp on sd.ID = tmp.ID

SET @TotalUpdate = @@RowCount

Insert into dbo.Student
    (
    id
    ,StudentName)
    select
    id
    ,StudentName
    from #std std1
    where not exists (select 1 from dbo.Student std2
    where std1.ID = std2.ID)

SET @TotalInserted = @@RowCount

END

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply