How to Implement SQL Server on 4 drives

• we're trying to implement SQL server on a new server that only has 4 drives. My boss said if RAID 5 is done there will be a performance problem because the data and logs will still be going across all 3 drives.  We need to Optimize performance. There is about 50% Input and 50% output on a daily basis.  About 70 users at one time all across the world. NOthing else is on the machine but SQL server.

What about mirroring? 

What's the best way to set up SQL server on 4 drives.  Where should the OS go?  SQL, data and logs?  There is no way we can get more hard drives (I already asked).  We have to work with only 4 drives.  What is the best way to optimize performance with only 4 drives and why?

• Given the fact 50/50 read/write, I would have done it like this

-2x Raid 1-sets (mirroring)

-Raid 1 set #1

-OS and RDBMS

-Datafiles (mdf)

-Raid 1 set #2

-Logfiles (ldf)

-TempDb

If Your Raid controller have 2 internal channels, it would be advisable to separate each Raid set on individual channels.

\hplu

• You will aslo need to consider where to put your database and transaction log backups.  They can consume a lot of space.

David Bird

• Thanks for all the input.  Where is the best place to put the database and transaction log backups.  I know mirroring takes up a lot of space.  Also, this DB is almost 7 gig already and growing rapidly.

Is there a chance of running out of space with mirroring?

• You could place the backupfiles on a fileshare on another server, NAS, SAN etc. to isolate the backup physically from Your db-server. If You consider this, You have to run SQL Agent service in the context of a service account in the domain. Backupdevices supports unc.

\hplu

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply