How to implement database changes?

• In development environment the table design in a database will be changing so how should we go about implementing these changes in live database. Because I'am finding difficultly regarding defaults. I can't delete the existing and create new default.

• I use SQL-Compare from Red-Gate to generate a script that will apply the differences. Easy, software is fairly inexpensive. I've got a review posted.

Andy

• Why can't you delete the existing one? I have a series on version control going on now that covers some of these items.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Decide what changes you want to cater for.

There will be some things that will be fairly common - like adding columns/tables.

You need a release method for these.

Indexes are quite easy.

For defaults just decide how often they will change.

In the worst case you can just replace the table with a new one wit hthe correct default - but what about the previous fieilds that were alowed to default?

If you are developing a system you should be able to recreate the database from scratch easily which should take care of your problem. You should only need to create update scripts after the system has gone live - you should always be testing the release script during development.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply