How to Identify the user who runs high usage queries and Kill the process

• Hello friends,

I do have a 'SQL user' who runs a lot of queries that causes performance issues to the database machine. I want to write a query that would check the CPU,Memory I/O usage from the systems table.

I feel i can use the following

Sp_who2 'active'

Can some one help me to write a query that can identify the heaviest usage spid and Kill that process. I want to automate it in such a way that the SQL job runs for every 5 minutes which cheks for this actively running process and Kills the user.

Please do help me

Thanks

Eben

• I would be careful automatically killing a process for a user.

For 2005 I would look into using sys.dm_exec_sessions,sys.dm_exec_requests, and sys.dm_exec_sql_text

• I would agree that killing the most heavily used query is a way to get into trouble. I think what you need to do is identify what the user(s) is doing that is eating up resources on the server.

If the work needs to get done, then you need to find a way to get it done, not kill it. If it doesn't need to get done, prevent it from running.

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/29/2009)

I would agree that killing the most heavily used query is a way to get into trouble. I think what you need to do is identify what the user(s) is doing that is eating up resources on the server.

If the work needs to get done, then you need to find a way to get it done, not kill it. If it doesn't need to get done, prevent it from running.

I remember a few kills where the rollback seemed to be as bad as the "performance killing" query.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Steve Jones - Editor (10/29/2009)

I would agree that killing the most heavily used query is a way to get into trouble. I think what you need to do is identify what the user(s) is doing that is eating up resources on the server.

In agreement. In addition to identifying what the user is doing, I would find a way to improve it, do it for the user, setup an automated job - something so that it wasn't such a resource hog.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• What type of queries ? Update ? "select" only ? Hitting production ? Is there blocking ? Can you tune the queries ? Set up a reporting database server, replicate to it, and let the users go crazy over there instead. .....

• I can just see me being the only one on in the middle of the night, running 'SELECT TOP 10 employee FROM staff' and wondering why it keeps failing every five minutes...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• There is a script that Jason Massie wrote that can be found HERE which is pretty helpful in finding high CPU queries. The query below will tell you the high memory users. You can also use profiler though to collect those queries over time and just filter by the user in question. Use that as a worklist to help them out with writing better code. You never know they may end up doing really well with a little help.

SELECT sp.spid,

sp.loginame,

sp.program_name,

sp.hostname,

t.text AS sql_text,

query_plan,

requested_memory_kb,

granted_memory_kb,

used_memory_kb,

mg.dop,

mg.request_time,

mg.grant_time,

mg.query_cost,

mg.timeout_sec,

mg.resource_semaphore_id,

mg.wait_time_ms

FROM (SELECT DISTINCT spid,

loginame,

program_name,

hostname

FROM sys.sysprocesses) sp

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_query_memory_grants mg

ON sp.spid = mg.session_id

CROSS APPLY sys.Dm_exec_sql_text(mg.sql_handle) t

CROSS APPLY sys.Dm_exec_query_plan(mg.plan_handle)

WHERE used_memory_kb > 500

AND query_cost > 5

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your response. I have actually missed to inform that my set up is an SQL2000 Enterprise edition so i am left out with using DMV's.

The user who attempts to run this is a big shot and we cannot revoke his acess but if he runs pretty big queries that utilizes the memory to its maximum we can Kill the process and inform the team on the activity.

This is the scenario, I am between the devil and the deep blue sea,...

neither can i revoke the acess of the user who i know, i just specifically want to monitor that particular user and neither am allowed to run a SQL profiler for this.

thanks

eben

• Document, document, document, then go have a 'training' session with him and his supervisor, showing why you need to have it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (10/29/2009)

I can just see me being the only one on in the middle of the night, running 'SELECT TOP 10 employee FROM staff' and wondering why it keeps failing every five minutes...

It would be fun! 🙂 You run the same query over and over a again. When you are done with your query you are free to go home, but you will never be done because someone wants to kill your process every five minutes. 😀

When the morning comes and you try to explain to your boss that you are not done with his report yet because your job gets killed everytime, and then the "clever" DBA walks by and say "I know what's the problem is." Then i do not think that is only the process that gets killed. 😀

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• ebenraja (10/29/2009)

Hello friends,

I do have a 'SQL user' who runs a lot of queries that causes performance issues to the database machine. I want to write a query that would check the CPU,Memory I/O usage from the systems table.

I feel i can use the following

Sp_who2 'active'

Can some one help me to write a query that can identify the heaviest usage spid and Kill that process. I want to automate it in such a way that the SQL job runs for every 5 minutes which cheks for this actively running process and Kills the user.

Please do help me

Thanks

Eben

If you really have this issue, try to teach him instead of automatic killing his process. You are begging for trubble this way. A rollback is also a heavy process.

/Håkan Winther
    MCITP:Database Developer 2008
    MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
    MCSE: Data Platform

• ebenraja (10/30/2009)

Guys,

Thanks a lot for all your response. I have actually missed to inform that my set up is an SQL2000 Enterprise edition so i am left out with using DMV's.

The user who attempts to run this is a big shot and we cannot revoke his acess but if he runs pretty big queries that utilizes the memory to its maximum we can Kill the process and inform the team on the activity.

This is the scenario, I am between the devil and the deep blue sea,...

neither can i revoke the acess of the user who i know, i just specifically want to monitor that particular user and neither am allowed to run a SQL profiler for this.

thanks

eben

You are still addressing the effect, not the cause.

P.S. You're in the 2005 forum. There's a 2000 forum also.

• I would try tuning his query instead of automating a process to kill it. If he is a bigshot as you say, he is likely to get upset when his query gets killed everytime he runs it.

You might be able to tune the query in the same time it takes to develop a routine to kill his spid.

• Erich Brinker (10/30/2009)

I would try tuning his query instead of automating a process to kill it. If he is a bigshot as you say, he is likely to get upset when his query gets killed everytime he runs it.

You might be able to tune the query in the same time it takes to develop a routine to kill his spid.

And then you'll earn points for improving performance.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply