How to identify edition of setup

• I have various SQL server 2008 setups in my server, each belonging to different editions. Is there any way to identify the edition of a setup without running it?

• try this:

select serverproperty('Edition')

Also dig deep into SERVERPROPERTY function; you can find lots of information about the servers using that function..

Hope this helps..

• And URL for your SERVERPROPERTY from MSDN Online :

SERVERPROPERTY - MSDN

🙂

• This may be helpful:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('Edition') as [SQL Server Edition],

SERVERPROPERTY('ProductVersion') as [SQL Server Version],

SERVERPROPERTY('ProductLevel') as [Applied Service Packs Version]

GO

Thanks & Regards,
    Sudeepta.
    http://twitter.com/skganguly

• Thanks for your replies.

But I guess my question has not been put clear. I didnt want to know about the edition of the installed instances. I have "SQL server 2008 setup DVD files" copied in my server. There are many such setups there, I wanted to know which setup DVD corresponds to which edition.

I am able to see the edition in the license agreement that comes when I run the setup. But I wanted to know if there is a way to know it without running the setup.

• Arun Jebakumar (7/30/2010)

I am able to see the edition in the license agreement that comes when I run the setup. But I wanted to know if there is a way to know it without running the setup.

The only way is to NAME the folder where u are copying the DVD with whatever version it was from the previous install 😀 😛

• well, I would take it as there is no other way possible :hehe:

• Arun Jebakumar (7/30/2010)

well, I would take it as there is no other way possible :hehe:

Cool man :cool:, i wondered if u would take that lightly! Well, nicee... 😉

• When we ran the setup in SQL 2005 and older versions, we used to see the Edition in the welcome screen of setup.

maybe Microsoft had started hating to add that label into the welcome screen and so removed it in 2008 :alien:

• I could not find that info in any of the .xml/.ini files on DVD. Not sure how setup determines which Edition it is.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply