How to hide objects (sp, views, tables) from a user?

• Hi,

I have a user that I want to give SELECT permissios to only a couple of tables. The database contains many tables, sps and views. I do not want him to see any of these objects except the those two tables.

I used SSMS to acheive this result for table objects. I did it by using Properties dialog of each table. It is very time consuming task. The number of sps and views is much bigger than number of tables in the database. It is very hard to do it one object at a time.

Can someone provide me a sample script to deny a user permissons of all types (to hide them from his view in SSMS) for objects of type Stored Procedures and Views? The server is 2k5.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Khalique

• you want to use a query to generate the commands for you, based ont he metadata.

i just tested this: create user/login [Noobie];

ran the results of the script below.

logged in as that user, and with Object Explorer, could not see views or procs/functions, but could still see the tables.

/*--results

name (No column name)

VW_BUDGETS_APPLICATION DENY VIEW DEFINITION ON [VW_BUDGETS_APPLICATION] TO SomeRole

VW_FGSFUNITAFT4 DENY VIEW DEFINITION ON [VW_FGSFUNITAFT4] TO SomeRole

VW_BUDGETS_AWARD DENY VIEW DEFINITION ON [VW_BUDGETS_AWARD] TO SomeRole

*/

select name,'DENY VIEW DEFINITION ON ' + QUOTENAME(name) + ' TO SomeRole '

from sys.objects

where type_desc IN('VIEW',

'SQL_STORED_PROCEDURE',

'AGGREGATE_FUNCTION',

'SQL_INLINE_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION',

'SQL_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION',

'SQL_SCALAR_FUNCTION')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks. Worked perfect!.

• Thank you very much for the code.

The tables are not visible but, I can still see the data by select query.

How can I change in

I the following code possible

select name,'DENY SELECT DEFINITION ON ' + QUOTENAME(name) + ' TO VirtualOfficeReport '

from sys.objects

where type_desc IN('USER_TABLE',

'SQL_STORED_PROCEDURE',

'AGGREGATE_FUNCTION',

'SQL_INLINE_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION',

'SQL_TABLE_VALUED_FUNCTION',

'SQL_SCALAR_FUNCTION')

• This seems backwards to me. When you build the user the first time, it should have no privs other than PUBLIC. Then grant individual privs. Better yet, make a DB role with the correct privs to the individual objects and then grant membership to that role.

You should also consider the idea of using Windows Authenticated Groups and Users.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• NOT WORKING.

User can still see ALL

Steve Nguyen

• stn11 (6/8/2016)

NOT WORKING.

User can still see ALL

i would guess your user is a sysadmin, by mistake or due to mutliple roles.

easy to check:

select IS_SRVROLEMEMBER('sysadmin','mydomain\lowell')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply