How to handle dynamic fields

• I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms, but I was wondering the proper way to design a database/application where the application needs to create additional attribute fields in a table based on user needs? Not all possible fields are determined at sale time, but the customer may need additional fields based on needs. How can this be accomplished without resorting to EAV design issues, etc...

• chrisn-585491 (7/18/2013)

I'm not sure if I'm using the right terms, but I was wondering the proper way to design a database/application where the application needs to create additional attribute fields in a table based on user needs? Not all possible fields are determined at sale time, but the customer may need additional fields based on needs. How can this be accomplished without resorting to EAV design issues, etc...

Let me check my understanding of this... is this an application your company is selling to third party customers and you want for the customer to have the ability to add "fields" to it?

Shall I also assume the "customer" has no access to the actual code?

If my two assumptions are correct, you can rely on some solution like Oracle Apps does, the famous "flex fields". each table has a set of "flex fields" columns that can be customized thru a catalog table where you define the name and attributes of a particular "flex field" like...

table=table-accounts

flex field=flex-field02

name="mobile phone"

mask=numeric(10)

editable=Y

reportable=Y

Needless to say, the application code has to be smart enough to interpret such definitions, include those "flex fields" on forms, reports, etc.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Having similar problem: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1480416-373-1.aspx.

Any experience and steps that you succeeded to resolve or model grateful for your sharing experience type of approach.

• One way to accomplish this would be soft coding. The key to either go this direction or not is the volume of the data. Let me know the typical size of each of the tables and I could elaborate further.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply