how to grant permission for xp_cmdshell

• I get an error not authorized to xp_cmdshell when I run the following:

DECLARE @bcp as varchar(8000)

select @bcp = 'bcp "Select * From Salesperson_Dimension" queryout C:\SalesPersonFile.txt -T -c'

exec master.dbo.xp_cmdshell @bcp

Can anyone provide a step by step on how to grant/revoke execute permission for xp_cmdshell?  Either EM or T-SQL?

• I had the same problem before.  You have to give the username the server role of Server Administrator.  The SQL Server requires this permission to allow the xp_CMDShell to execute

• I did assign the User the role of Server Administrator, but our vendor software application received errors afterwards; as that was the only recent change made.  After removing the role, the application ran okay.

So either I can grant just permission for the procedure or should I create a new User with the required role.

• We set up a new User for our Bulk Copy Application, gave the user Read/Write Permissions on the Database and a Server Role of Server Administrator, and it worked.  You also have to set the Default Database to the one that you are doing the BCP on. 

• But doesn't giving the user the SA Server role give them the ability to change their own permissions? Doesn't this create a huge security hole?

• I think that the concept to shell out to the NT operating system already offers a huge security hole.  I did find some information on a microsoft site about setting up DB users that are not System Administrators, but can run xp_CmdShell.  In the section under remarks there is some useful information.  Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_4jxo.asp

• The xp_cmdshell extended stored procedure is in the master database (as are all extended stored procedures). If you want to give access to xp_cmdshell without giving out sysadmin role rights, you can do any of the following (all are assumed to execute against the master database):

1. Grant Execute rights to the public role:

GRANT EXECUTE ON xp_cmdshell TO public

2. Grant Execute rights to the guest account:

GRANT EXECUTE on xp_cmdshell TO guest

3. Give a user access to the master database and then grant that user execute rights:

EXEC sp_grantdbaccess 'MyUser'

GRANT EXECUTE ON xp_cmdshell TO MyUser

4. Give a user access to the master database, create a role, put the user in the role, and then grant that role execute rights:

EXEC sp_grantdbaccess 'MyUser'

EXEC sp_addrole 'CommandShellUsers'

EXEC sp_addrolemember 'CommandShellUsers', 'MyUser'

GRANT EXECUTE ON xp_cmdshell TO CommandShellUsers

Options 1 and 2 are pretty much identical. The guest account is enabled for the master database (this is required) and by rule all users are members of the public role, to include guest. That means you don't have to grant a user specific access to the master database if you don't want to as in options 3 and 4. However, options 3 and 4 allow you to restrict who would actually be able to call xp_cmdshell. Any of the options keep you from having to grant a particular login membership into the sysadmin role.

One more thing: if a login is not a member of the sysadmin role, the proxy account must be set. You can do this with the xp_sqlagent_proxy_account stored procedure. More here:

Books Online: xp_sqlagent_proxy_account

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks K. Brian Kelley  - you have saved us a truckload of effort in answering this post. 

We actually discovered that your suggested solution in item 4 above did not work as expected.  However, using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account we did the following:

1. Created a Windows user account - e.g. 'SQLXPShell' - which is a member of the Domain Users group only (this can be changed later if neccessary);

2. Limited the permissions on this account so that it could only do exactly what we wanted it to do (e.g. only create folders in c:\application\folders\);

3. Ran xp_sqlagent_proxy_account to make the 'SQLXPShell' account the proxy account, e.g. -

exec  xp_sqlagent_proxy_account N'SET', N'MyDomainName', N'SQLXPShell', N'password' 

This way, we are able to exercise a fine level of control over the use of the xp_cmdshell extended stored procedure and exactly what can be done.  Of course, it means that the permissions of the user account must be in line with the functionality required by any stored procedure that calls xp_cmdshell.  This could be controlled by adding the user to one or more groups etc.

Hope this adds something useful to the body of knowledge.

Cheers!

Phillipe and Marty, MDA

• Hi Phillipe,

I have a similar problem here. However, When I ran that "xp_sqlagent_proxy_account" , I got the error message like this:

"Error executing extended stored procedure: Specified user can not login"

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

• Are you running the procedure "xp_sqlagent_proxy_account" from ISQL as an administrator?

• how is this working for SQL7.0 sp4  ?

I've seen a howto but cannot find it anymore

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• No. I want non-admin/sa user to be able to run that procedure. My problem was that I couldn't assign an domain user to that sqlagent proxy account, even I followed SQL BOL.

Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply