How to get the SQL client to see HBC (HyperBac) files.

• Hey All,

Heres an interesting one (and something RedGate support themselves dont know how to do).

We have HyperBac in prod and dev, thing is we do multiple restores a day from env to env and so use the gui a lot. By default SQL looks for files of type .bak and .trn (unless you choose 'all files' from the drop down).

So my question is how do i get SQL to look for .hbc files as well? I dont really want to register the .bak and .trn with HyperBac as i want to maintain those as protected native backup extensions.

Seems logical there must be a way. Anyone know? The version is 2005 + SP3 (some standard some enterprise and a mixture of 64 and 32-bit).

Thanks in advance,

Adam.

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• This seems to be hardwired in Management Studio (all versions), there does not seem to be anywhere (even a registry hack) to alter this. Which seems strange as people use a myriad of file extensions for their backups (.DMP, .BKF, etc) not just .BAK and .TRN, so some programability/customability seems to be warranted here, maybe a suggestion for MS

• javen-718435 (12/28/2010)

This seems to be hardwired in Management Studio (all versions), there does not seem to be anywhere (even a registry hack) to alter this. Which seems strange as people use a myriad of file extensions for their backups (.DMP, .BKF, etc) not just .BAK and .TRN, so some programability/customability seems to be warranted here, maybe a suggestion for MS

Thanks for your response. Cant believe this has never been sorted. Anyone come across this before?

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply