How to get SISS package to load data from SQL 2014 to SQL 2005

• Hi I'm stuck and hoping you guys can help me out.

We have an SSIS package that moves data from one SQL 2005 application db on a remote server to DM database pm SQL 2005 on the local server.

The application is being upgraded so we've moved the database to SQL 2014, so I need to point the ETL package to the new SQL 2014 database. So I've loaded the package in VS 2008 and tried to point it to the new database but VS tells me "This server version is not supported. Only servers up to SQL 2005 are supported" (This is in test not production)

So I installed VS 2015 on another server and tried to open the project. But its not supported in VS 2015 🙁

Can someone tell me what to install or do so that I can get my ETL to talk to SQL2015 and SQL 2005.

PS: I can use Visual Studio a bit but my knowledge is just from building SQL Server maintenance plans, ie pretty basic.

• What is the version of the server you are trying to run the package on? Is this the same server as before the upgrade?

If the package is a SQL 2005 package and you're trying to run it on a newer version server, you must first upgrade the package.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I'm trying to run the package from the DM server with SQL 2005 and Windows Server 2003 on it.

So I'm not trying to move the package, I just need it to be able to read data from a SQL 2014 server. Is that possible without upgrading it?

I've done some research and haven't been able to find a clear upgrade path.

If I need to upgrade the package, I can put it on a Windows 20012 server. What would I need to install and look out for?

• It's not a scenario I've had to deal with. However, I would have expected it to run just fine, assuming you have the connection string to the new server properly configured and verified.

That also assumes that you are not using any now-obsolete SQL in your package.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (12/1/2015)

It's not a scenario I've had to deal with. However, I would have expected it to run just fine, assuming you have the connection string to the new server properly configured and verified.

That also assumes that you are not using any now-obsolete SQL in your package.

Agree.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Well its nice that you expect it to run, but it doesn't 🙁

So what am I doing wrong, and what should I do?

• martin 22999 (12/1/2015)

Well its nice that you expect it to run, but it doesn't 🙁

Leave the package exactly as is, changing only the connection string (via a config change only, I hope) to point at the 2014 db. Then run it and tell us the error.

Tell us the connection string too (obfuscate passwords and server names).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (12/1/2015)

martin 22999 (12/1/2015)

Well its nice that you expect it to run, but it doesn't 🙁

Leave the package exactly as is, changing only the connection string (via a config change only, I hope) to point at the 2014 db. Then run it and tell us the error.

Tell us the connection string too (obfuscate passwords and server names).

I've got the package loaded into SS Data Tools 2010.

Every time I change the connection strings by editing the connection managers, I leave the dialog and they revert back to what they were.

How do I change the strings as a config change?

TIA and thanks for your patience

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply