How to get script length > 4000 using system table?

• Hello all,

I need to write a sql statement to retrieve the script of stored procedure/function/trigger, however, at least in SQL2000, if the obejct's text length > 4000, then it will be splitted to more than one records, I wonder how can I concatenate these records without using cursor or even temp table.

My script is as following:

select 

so.name as [SPName], sc.colid as [ID], sc.name as [Parameter], st.name as [DataType], sc.length as [Size], sp.name as [Caption], sp.value as [ParameterEP], sm.text as [Script] 

from sysobjects so 

left outer join syscolumns sc on sc.id = so.id 

left outer join systypes st on sc.xusertype = st.xusertype 

left outer join syscomments sm on sm.id = so.id 

left outer join sysproperties sp on (so.id = sp.id and sp.smallid = sc.colid and sp.type = 4) 

where so.id = (select id from sysobjects where name ='dt_addtosourcecontrol')

This script actually has different result for different objects, for the in-code object dt_addtosourcecontrol, I got four records which is not correct, when applying to my own stored procedure with length > 4000, it returns correct result.

What's the problem? Do you have better solution? Thanks. I am expecting a solution that is not using Cursor or Temp table, ideally it's just a single SQL statement. This is limited by my application.

• Why is it unacceptable for the app to do some work in sorting this out?

• While I am sorting this out by doing something external work, I believe there should be a simple and better internal solution.

Thanks.

• I agree that there should be a better solution, but untill Yukon I'm afraid you'll be stuck with this solution because the [n][var]char columns are limited to 8K width. There's just no simple way to accomodate this problem server side ATM... assuming that Yukon will be able to solve it.

• Do it like sp_helptext does it.

It uses a cursor.

do a

use master

sp_helptext 'SP_HELPTEXT'

and it will show you how sp_helptext concatenates the two+ rows.

• I think you didn't notice my requirement: no cursor or temp table is allowed here.

Thanks.

• And I think I'm indicating you cannot do it without using a cursor, temporary object or some other looping procedure.

you cannot inline query some rows to concatenate, and others not.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply