How to get middle rows data from a set of rows in a table

• sasil - Monday, March 15, 2010 5:36 AM

Hi Friends,I have a table of 1000 records of data. If i want to get data of rows from 501 to 700 from the table without using any condition what I have to do.Please suggest a solution.

select * from tablename where rownum<=700
    minus
    elect * from tablename where rownum<500

• psmahesh115 - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:56 AM

sasil - Monday, March 15, 2010 5:36 AM

Hi Friends,I have a table of 1000 records of data. If i want to get data of rows from 501 to 700 from the table without using any condition what I have to do.Please suggest a solution.

minus

I always appreciate it when someone tries to improve an answer for an 8 year old post but your code won't help unless there's a fresh copy of a column called RowNum on the table.  Also, "MINUS" doesn't work in SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:04 AM

psmahesh115 - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:56 AM

minus

I always appreciate it when someone tries to improve an answer for an 8 year old post but your code won't help unless there's a fresh copy of a column called RowNum on the table.  Also, "MINUS" doesn't work in SQL Server.

and what if the second dataset were elected with a hanging chad? (since we're already going back in time)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 7:04 AM

psmahesh115 - Wednesday, February 7, 2018 4:56 AM

minus

You could use EXCEPT instead of MINUS, but it would still include an extra row as written.

In SQL 2012, they introduced OFFSET/FETCH specifically to handle paging.
    SELECT *
    FROM tablename
    ORDER BY somefield
    OFFSET 500 ROWS
    FETCH NEXT 200 ROWS ONLY

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply