How to get middle rows data from a set of rows in a table

• Hi Friends,

I have a table of 1000 records of data. If i want to get data of rows from 501 to 700 from the table without using any condition what I have to do.Please suggest a solution.

• It is not magic, you must use some criteria in the WHERE clause.

Will your keyboard not type the word "WHERE", or what?

Andrew SQLDBA

• Hi,

I presume this is for paged results to a web page or something similar.

You can use the ROW_NUMBER() OVER statement to add a new column with row numbers, so you can just select the rows you want

; WITH MySelectedRows AS (

SELECT ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY MySortColumn DESC) as RowNumber, *

FROM MyTable

WHERE <some clause>

)

SELECT * FROM MySelectedRows

WHERE RowNumber BETWEEN 501 AND 700

Adam

Note the ; before the WITH statement - the statement before a WITH statement must be followed by a ; , so adding it here ensures that is the case

• AndrewSQLDBA (3/15/2010)

It is not magic, you must use some criteria in the WHERE clause.

Andrew SQLDBA

Was that really necessary?

It is quite a reasonable question that I'm sure has foxed plenty of people before.

If you can't give a helpful answer, why not just move onto another question?

Adam

• Thanks for your solution Adam.

• Cyberspy (3/15/2010)

AndrewSQLDBA (3/15/2010)

It is not magic, you must use some criteria in the WHERE clause.

Andrew SQLDBA

Was that really necessary?

It is quite a reasonable question that I'm sure has foxed plenty of people before.

If you can't give a helpful answer, why not just move onto another question?

Adam

I read it as humourous :blink::unsure:

Benefit of the doubt eh? :Whistling:

• you can also do this without using WHERE by using EXCEPT, though without knowing the order of the data the results may vary

SELECT TOP 700 * FROM yourTable

EXCEPT

SELECT TOP 500 * FROM yourTable

• steveb. (3/15/2010)

you can also do this without using WHERE by using EXCEPT, though without knowing the order of the data the results may vary

Very creative! Horrible performance though, and quite likely to return erroneous results (unless run in a transaction running at the SERIALIZABLE isolation level, or under one of the row-versioning levels...I guess). I do admire the thought process behind the idea though. Nice.

As an aside, for paging problems, I often write the query seek down a key to find the one page of keys for display, and then 'look up' the row data from those keys. It is also frequently useful to optimize for first-half and last-half results by seeking forward or backward on the index.

Paul

• Thanks Paul, yeah I wouldn't use it in 'real-life' i would tend to go for the ROW_NUMBER example posted

• I had a feeling you would 😉

• As an aside, for paging problems, I often write the query seek down a key to find the one page of keys for display, and then 'look up' the row data from those keys. It is also frequently useful to optimize for first-half and last-half results by seeking forward or backward on the index.

Paul,

This sounds interesting. Any chance of an example?

Thanks

Adam

• Cyberspy (3/15/2010)

Adam, this is something I get asked quite a lot, so I think I will write an article about it.

• Paul White (3/15/2010)

Cyberspy (3/15/2010)

Adam, this is something I get asked quite a lot, so I think I will write an article about it.

Paul,

That sounds great!

Could I ask you a favour - update this thread when you've published it, so I can read it?

Thanks

Adam

• Sure thing. If I remember, I will send you a PM too.

• Thanks!

Adam

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply