how to get directory contents to file

• Hi all,

I have a task that costs me a lot of time

Maybe it is possible to automate this.

I have a directory (Files) with a varying number of sub directories

These subDirs are removed from time to time (back up), but I need to know what the filenames originally were.

The dir looks something like:

Files

subDir One

subsubDirOne

File ...

File ...

File ...

subsubDirTwo

File ...

File ...

subsubDirThree

File ...

File ...

File ...

File ...

subDir Two

subsubDirA

File ...

File ...

subsubsubDir ..

File ...

File ...

File ...

subsubDirB

File ...

subsubDirC

File ...

File ...

subsubDirD

File ...

subsubDirE

File ...

subsubDirF

File ...

File ...

subDir Three

etcetc

Basically it is a dir (files) with several subdirs that may of may not have other subdirs.

The number of sub dirs vary from time to time

Is it possible to create code that goes through every subdir (names dirs include blank spaces),

runs the code "Get-ChildItem -Recurse | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object"

and save that in the subDir... as "Contents.txt"

Thanks you in advance

Hein

• It looks like you have the code already.  Just append "> Contents.txt" to the end of it.

If you don't want powershell, bat file can do it too with "dir /s > Contents.txt".

Toss either the powershell or bat file into a windows task and you should be done.  If you want to keep a running history, change the > to a >>.  A single > means "overwrite the contents in the file".  Putting 2 of them (>>) means "append to file".

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thank you Brian for your reply

I am very new to Powershell and I am trying to learn it

I understand your suggestion (hopefully ?)

Except: how do I go from sub-directory to sub-directory in the (main) directory files

I would like to have each a file in each directory, with the contents of that directory

So the number of files named contents.txt matches the number of sub directorie, each in its own directory

Thanks you, Hein

• OH... you want 1 contents.txt per directory.  That gets a bit more complicated, but still pretty easy in Powershell.  Basically, you will need to start by getting the directory list and storing that in a variable.  Then you will need a loop to go through each line of that variable.  So something along the lines of:

$directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory -Recurse | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object
    foreach ($directory in $directoryList) {
    Get-ChildItem -File -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object > $directory\Contents.txt
    }

This will put a file called "contents.txt" in each directory and subdirectory listing the FILES only.  If you want files and folders, simply remove the "-File" part.  If you want each Contents.txt to contain the current path and deeper, add -Recurse onto the Get-ChildItem arguments.

Does the above solve your problem or at least point you in the right direction?  Again, that ">" can be replaced with a ">>" if you wish to append to contents.txt rather than overwrite it each time.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Hello Brian,

I have made a directory (D:\TestDir) with some subDirs in it, as well as a number of files (aptly named file...).

I ran your code but keep getting errors that I cannot correct

Here's the  code, together with some issues

PS C:\Windows\system32> cd D:\TestDir

$directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory  | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object

Get-ChildItem -File -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object > $directory\Contents.txt

}

Get-ChildItem : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Directory'.

At line:4 char:42

+ $directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory <<<<   | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ChildItem], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

Get-ChildItem : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'File'.

At line:6 char:24

+     Get-ChildItem -File <<<<  -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object > $directory\Contents.txt

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ChildItem], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

I have tried a nunber of things, all went wrong. Much was my surprise to see in all subDirs a file Contents.txt but that was empy except for the line "D:\TestDir\subDir 4Vier\Contents.txt"

Can you give me an idea what I should change

Sorry for the maybe obvious question, but this is all new to me

Thanks Hein

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Try this change:

$directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory  | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object

$dirContents = Get-ChildItem -File -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object;
    if ($dirContents -ne $null) {
    $dirContents | Out-File "$($directory)\Contents.txt";
    }
    }

I put a check in for a directory that is empty - if no files then the file won't be created.  Code has been tested and works as expected on my system.  If you are still receiving errors - can you issue the command: $PSVersionTable and supply the results?

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi Jeffry,

Thanks for your reply

I used the command:

cd d:\testdir

$directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory  | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object

$dirContents = Get-ChildItem -File -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object;

if ($dirContents -ne $null) {

$dirContents | Out-File "$($directory)\Contents.txt";

}

}

That gave me:

Get-ChildItem : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Directory'.

At line:4 char:42

+ $directoryList = Get-ChildItem -Directory <<<<   | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object

Get-ChildItem : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'File'.

At line:7 char:39

+     $dirContents = Get-ChildItem -File <<<<  -Path $directory | % { $_.FullName } | Sort-Object;

Apparently the system doesn't recognize the -directory and -file parameters

Running $PSVersionTable gave me

Name                           Value

----                           -----

CLRVersion                     2.0.50727.8806

BuildVersion                   6.1.7601.17514

PSVersion                      2.0

WSManStackVersion              2.0

PSCompatibleVersions           {1.0, 2.0}

SerializationVersion           1.1.0.1

PSRemotingProtocolVersion      2.1

FYI: I am (still) running a windows 7 system. I want to get a new computer but due to Covid-19 I am stuck to my house (health issues)

Do you think that my version is not "equipped" for this code / version of this code?

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply

Hein

PS

Is it possible to type without all these big/large whote lines?

• You are on a very old version?  You need to upgrade to the latest version

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54616

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Thank you Jeffrey

I will download and install the files and will get back to you to inform you about the results

King regards

Hein

• Hi Jeffry

I have downloaded the files but installing them gives me problems

Or the files stops when starting to initialyse, or I get the message "The update is not applicable to your computer"

I keep working to get them installed but I may need some time, sorry

Kind regards

Hein

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply