How to get date value from a number ( ex: 20161108) ?

• Hi,

I have this "20161108", I need this "2016-11-08 00:00:00.000", may be this pretty simple, but I am getting error when I try the below

select convert(datetime,convert(float,20161108))

please help.

Thanks,

Prabhu

• Converting to a float is the problem.

Try converting to a varchar(10) instead of a float.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• It's not that simple.

Casting the float to datetime directly gets you 20161108 days after the 1st of January 1900, which, since 20161108/365.25 leaves us with 55 thousand years, exceeds the max for datetime of 31 December 9999 by roughly 47 millennia.

Cast (or convert if you prefer) through string first.

DECLARE @BadDate INT = 20161108;

SELECT CAST(CAST(@BadDate AS CHAR(8)) AS DATETIME)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • And as you have no time component, consider using the DATE datatype, rather than DATETIME ... if you do, you'll save 5 bytes per occurrence.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Assuming you want to convert a string to DateTime.

CAST('20161108' AS DATETIME)

If the string contains a value that cannot be converted to a true calendar date (ie: Feb 29, 2015), then the function will raise a conversion error.

Alternately you can use the TRY_CAST function, which will return a result of NULL if the conversion doesn't work.

TRY_CAST('20161108' AS DATETIME)

Also, as mentioned above, a simple date value without time portion can be cast as Date rather than DateTime.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Hi All,

the problem was on converting the value into float as micheal and gail said, the code given by gail works for me.

Thanks gail and everyone for your quick response.

-Prabhu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply