How to find SSIS Packages?

• I used the Import Data Wizard to import data from a flat file into a table. I saved the Package by selecting 'Save SSIS Package' and 'SQL Server' on the Save and Execute Package Screen. How may I find this package and view/edit it? Also, if I had of selected to save the package to the 'File System' where would it have been stored? We have SQL Server 2005 running on Windows 2003 Server.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

• You would need to add it to a BIDS solution in Visual Studio to edit; options for SQL Server are to save to an SSIS box (a server running integration services).

Take care

Lee

Blog >>>http://www.texastoo.com

• Packages stored in SQL can be managed by connecting to the Integration Services instance on the server you saved the package to. From SSMS, click connect, choose Integration Services and select the appropriate server name (or named instance depending on the install). In the object browser, the package you saved will likely be listed under the folder Stored Packages\MSDB, or some sub folder there of (depending on the default save location). From here you can run the package, but not view or edit it. Lee is correct that you need to add it to a solution in BIDS in order to edit/debug it. Bids works only with packages stored on the file system (not those stored in SQL). In your case, you can right click on the package stored in SQL and Export it to the file system - it will let you choose where. Once it is on the file system, you can add it to a project in BIDS (you can edit it without adding it to a project, but you can't debug it this way, so adding it to a project is recommended).

If you choose to save the package to the file system when using the SSIS Import/Export wizard, it will let you specify the location to save it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply