how to find sa password from registry in sql 2000/7.0/6.5 if i forget the sa password?

• dear friends

how to find sa password from registry in sql 2000/7.0/6.5 if i forget the sa password?

thanks in advance

anil

• Have a look at http://www.sqlsecurity.com for some tools.

• For 6.5 run regedit - Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/microsoft/MSSQLserver/SQLEW/Registered servers and then double click on the required one.

THe SA will be on the right of the screen vertically.

Don't tell anyone this came from me - And I never use it because I never, ever forget my SA password as they are stuck on my screen with post-its

• If you can't remember what the sa password you should be able to reset sa password provide that you previously set yourself up as sa.  I don't think it's the best way to write it down on sticky notes or hack the registry. 

mom

• Or get a white marker pen !

• Yeah, post-its are generally not a good idea as they tend to fall off over time or when the cleaners are in, instead I find writing them around the border of my screen ( the plastic bit ! ) in permanent marker pen ( whiteboards pens are good for this ) works excellently !. Of course if you have a black plastic border to your monitor just ask your IT dept for a replacement white/grey plastic monitor !.

• That sound like a superb idea. Although if it is actually written on the PC as opposed to on a post-it are you open to being hacked???

I'm going back to work now - Enough frivolity 

• dear friends,

after doubleclicking the registered server in the path suggested by eosullivan,only machine name is readable. all other things listed under "value data " are in hex format. what to do now?

thanks in advance

Anil

• You just double click on the machine name. Scroll down and it will be on the right hand side

• Dear friend,

I can't find anything other othan hex there. shall i send u a copy of the relevant portion in registry? i don't think i can paste it in this form.

pl give me ur mail id if u don't mind

anil

• When I double click on 'Servername' I get hex on the left of the window that pops up, but over on the top right I can see 'Servername', underneath that I can see 'SA' and underneath that - the password.

Ignore the Hex

• I don't know about 6.5

But unless you've really locked down SQL, and eliminated Builtin Admins.  Get someone that is a Local Admin to connect to SQL Server, and change the password.

KlK

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply