How to find out root cause of Full Backup Failure?

• Hi All;

My SQL Server Instance having around 2500 databases. So for taking backup of all these databases I have created a script according to http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1070

But in the SQL Server Error Log I have found error like below when Full backup performed:

[font="Courier New"]2010-01-18 18:13:18.95 Backup Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

2010-01-18 18:13:18.95 Backup BACKUP failed to completes the command BACKUP DATABASE <dbName>. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.[/font]

My question is that how I can find out why the backup failed for particular database where is detailed information. I have check windows Error log but the error is same no detailed information are available.

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• generally you need to check for any errors prior to your error to see if something else cause the failure.

first thing I'd do is back the database up on its own. If it fails there might be a consistency issue.

backups usually fail due to lack of disk space but you'll normally see a 112 error.

If you're backing up with overwrite, something I never do, it may be that the file to be overwritten was locked or being used?

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Yaa you are right but my concern is that

Why Microsoft say that "Check the backup application log for detailed messages." What it mean? Where the details? Is Microsoft pointing to check windows log or other log for details?

Actually I not blaming Microsoft; I my trying to know where Microsoft has logged detailed info

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

• Have you ran an integrity check on the DB?

• The advice has to be generic I guess to cover when third party tools are being used. I usually track through the sql logs and the windows logs but as is often the case you don't get any further help. If you had third party backup tool such as veritas for example then veritas would also have its own logs - I guess that's what they mean.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Backup failures will write to the windows error log. That will contain the specific reason as to why it failed.

• J.D. Gonzalez (1/22/2010)

Backup failures will write to the windows error log. That will contain the specific reason as to why it failed.

Actually it doesn't provide any more info. It says EXACTLY the same thing and refers to the "backup application log" again, whatever that is.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• If you are running the backup through an agent job, check the job history. I usually have my jobs log to a file as the agent history truncates any messages.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply