How To Find A Server Alias Name

• I just started at a company that has a rather complex variable definition process for our SSIS packages. I have seen it in action and I know it works beautifully, but I am having problems tracking down specific values at times.

I am trying to run a job in our Dev environment, and I want to make sure I am editing the correct server / database. We use Environment Variables that will be pulled in by the Package Configurations section of SSIS, and will be assigned to @Framework:: variables. I have tracked the database name correctly, and based on testing I have confirmed the server name given to me by a coworker. My problem is I have not been able to find the server name on my own.

The environment variable is defined as CONN_TARGET3_SERVER=BIZ_DM.

The SSMS connection for this same server is BIZ_DM_DEV.

My coworker has said that this is because the server has a locally defined alias (BIZ_DM) that points to the SSMS connection (BIZ_DM_DEV). I get the concept, but I can't seem to find the alias list.

I am not sure if I have stated this clearly, so if I have missed something please ask and I will give what information I can. In the end I just need to know how to review the alias list on a server. I am able to connect via Remote Desktop, so my access is not an issue. I am just lost.

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

• So that I am not leaving an unanswered question hanging out there...

Let me first state that I was an idiot for forgetting this. I have not played with Aliases in so long that I let the information slid right out of my head.

To bring up your alias list Start > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 > Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager > [SQL Server Client 10.0 Configuration | SQL Server Client 10.0 Configuration(32bit)] > Alias

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply