How to extract specific data from feild in table

• I have a basic sql script:

SELECT [ID], [EVENTID], [TYPE], [EVENT_DATE], [CATEGORY], [USERID], [USERNAME], [COMPUTER], [SOURCE], [EVENT_TIME], [IN_WORK_HOURS], [RECID], [RECNO], [PC_SECURITY_LEVEL], [PC_ALERT_LEVEL], [EXT_TAGS], [NO_EXT_TAGS], [GLOBALS], [SELMID], [FLAGS], [SCANNED_COMPUTER] FROM [SELMLOG4].[dbo].[EVENTS]where [EVENTID] = '627' and [USERNAME] = 'BTSINC\SANCHEZJU'

which returns all the fields I need the problem is that the field ext_data displays:

@1@BOBADILLAB~1~@2@ZBTSHOU01~2~@3@S-1-5-21-597501654-519571020-924725345-500~3~@4@SANCHEZJU~4~@5@BTSINC~5~@6@(0x0,0x5DD4C62)~6~@7@-~7~

I need to just display the Domain name from this field, in the example BOBADILLAB. How can I either trim the data displayed to show only the username(BOBADILLAB)? Any Suggestions?

• Look for functions to manipulate with strings in SQL Server Books Online. There are functions like substring, left, right, replace, stuff, etc.

• Try something like this:

SELECT
    SUBSTRING([EXT_DATA], CHARINDEX('@1', [EXT_DATA]) + 2, (CHARINDEX('@2', [EXT_DATA]) - CHARINDEX('@1', [EXT_DATA])+2))
    FROM [SELMLOG4].[dbo].[EVENTS]
    WHERE [EVENTID] = '627' AND [USERNAME] = 'BTSINC\SANCHEZJU'

editing: oops, forgot a parentheses...

Edited by - jpipes on 03/05/2003 10:17:00 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply