how to edit a deployed report

• Hi Guys,

we have a report deployed on our report server, there is no .rdl file for it. Its just uploaded on it. I want to edit it by adding a column into, but unable to find where to do that.

can anyone tell me how to solve this reporting issue.

Thanks

• To get the RDL file, go to the report in Report Manager. Go to the Properties tab. There is an area called Report Definition. If you click on Edit, it will prompt you to save the RDL file.

• i dont see any report defination in the report manager, can you tell me how exactly i can see that tab.

Thanks

• WHen you go to the report concerned - does the second tab from left say properties?

If not, you'll need to get your permissions upgraded.

If so, click on that tab - in the (default) general section you should have the created and last modified info - then just under the name and description stuff headed properties there's your report definition section with an edit and update link underneath.

• I reached in the properties and under it i have general section, which has the created and last modified date, and there is another section below general name security, here its showing the group or user and role details. I dont see any other sections...

• Hi,

On left hand site you should have 6 area.

General

Parameters

Data Sources

Execution

History

Security

On right hand side of General you should different data as you said. created by, creation date etc.

Then Properties - Here there should be name and description

Then Report Definition - here there should be Edit and Update link.

U need to press this Edit link.

If you are missing something from above setting then it must be related to permission.

i hope it helps.

Create a linked report when you want to use different security or parameters with the report.

• i have only 2 sections, general and security...i dont know whats the problem that its not showing all the sectio as suggested by you all. Any idea guys....

• Permissions

• Are you in the folder that the report is listed in, or have you run the report? You need to run the report, and then go to properties. In the General section of the report properties you will see the following:

Modified Date:

Modified By:

Creation Date:

Created By:

Size: 63 KB

This is followed by an area titled Properties with text boxes for the name and description of the report.

This is followed by an area titled Report Definition with two hyperlinks below it. One is Edit, and the other is Update. Clicking on Edit will prompt you to save the RDL file.

As mentioned several times, if this is not what you see, then you do not have permissions to see it. You should see someone with administrative rights who can get the file for you.

Cheers

Michelle

• well guys i am the only person in my company and no one else knows sql, and also i am new to the environment here, they say i have full rights of access to this server.

Can you suggest what exact permission and what problem could be in my case.

Thanks

• On the Report Server, you will need access to the Content Manager Role (probably Publisher Role or Report Builder Role might be enough). This is assigned from the Report Manager in the Permissions for the site. You will need to find someone with permissions on the Report Server to provide you with this permission if you don't have it.

Hope this helps.

• Hi Guys,

I have now got all the permissions access to the reports, and now i can see the EDIT tab and open and save the .rdl file, but how do i include some other columns in the report.

The report is coming in xml format and how to open it in report designer...can any one suggest/advice how to deal with this now..

Thanks

• Hey, an RDL file is just XML. If you open it in Visual Studio or BIDS it might open in code view first. You sould be able to view it in Design View as well. I don't have access to VS at the moment, but I think that's right . . . HTH

Michelle

• OK, got Visual Studio. What you'll need to do is:

1. Open an existing report server project or create a new one.

2. Create the datasource that you need.

3. Add Existing Item, and open the report file you downloaded.

This should open the report in the report designer and you can go to town.

HTH

Michelle

• Do you have a server administrator for your reporting services box?

The permissions you need is View Definition.

Click on properties

Click on security

Click the "Edit item Security" button

Click "New Role Assignment"

Enter your network login domain/username in "Group or user name:"

Click Content Manager

Click Ok

Go back into the properties tab and you should see what you need to see.

If you have a server admin, make sure he knows what you are doing or ask him to set up the permissions for you to prevent problems later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply