How to Dynamically and Iteratively Populate An Excel Workbook from SQL Server

• So you mean that first I connect to the sample file in the Excel Destination and then change to the variable?

and when I change to variable it will not ask again for column mappings.

Thanks a lot for your help.

• There is something still missing in this article. Can you please provide a step by step how you configure the Excel destination?

I created an Excel file and connected to it the sample Excel file with column names. The excel destination was created successfully and I ran the package and it created the groups and subgroups successfully but without any records because all the records were filled in the sample excel file Excel.xls which is correct because that is the destination.

Here are the successful configuration

Excel connection Manager

Table or view

Sheet1$

After that I modified the Excell Destination to assign the variable SubGroup but it won't allow me and it gives me the following error: A Destination table name has not been provided. The variable subGroup is being assigned in the foreach loop correctly but it won't accept it. I looked a the variable SubGroup and by default it is empty.

Here are the failure configuration:

Excel connection Manager

Table or view from variable

user::subGroup

Am I missing anything here?

You help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• I'm having troubles too. This article is hard to follow and read.

• one additinal note here of what I did:

In order to be able to connect to the Excel File (Excel.xls the sample that has column names) I had to delete the expression of the connection manager and run the package and that's when it worked. After that I added the expression Filepath = @[User::filename] and that's when it didn't allow me to assign the subGroup variable.

In the article at the variable section you are talking about Grouping and subgrouping variables. Are these the User::Group and User::SubGroup variables or there are other ones? I think they are but it is not working.

• Listing Variables in the article:

ExcelTab

ExcelFileName

SubDataSet

obj_ListofGrouping

Grouping

SubGrouping

This is a situation of variables within variables. Grouping is used to define the ExcelFileName which is used in the Excel Connection Manager

Subgrouping is used to create the spreadsheet as:

"CREATE TABLE" + " " + "`"+@[User::SubGrouping] +"`"+ " " + "(

`Value1` NVARCHAR(35),

`Value2` NVARCHAR(40),

`Value3` NVARCHAR(200),

`Value4` NVARCHAR(50),

`Value5` NVARCHAR(15)

which is the expression within the ExcelTab variable

SubDataSet is the Select statement used to retrieve the data to populate the spreadsheets.

For me the simplest was to create the variables. Then add the components and then define each of the components.

• First, I'd like to thank the author for this article, it's very interesting and useful. I would recommend that in the future the author take larger/clearer screenshots (or link to expanded images) and break down the steps in greater detail. I also recommend the creation of dummy tables at the beginning so that anyone attempting to recreate this package is using the same data and not initially dealing with whatever idiosyncrasies they have in their own dbs. I found it exceedingly difficult to recreate this package and ended up spending a helluva lot of time squinting, muttering, and guessing, and it doesn't sound like I'm the only one.

Thanks for the article and I look forward to more.

• Yeah, I totally agree. I think I had hoped everyone could download the article so that way could expand the screenprints to any size they wanted. If you would like any screenprints please feel free to email me directly.

Thanks again for all the comments which will only help to improve my writing.

• Yes please, give us a link where we can get the full article, full screen shots and a link to download the working sample package.

This really is a great article. It deserves a sequel.

I already get a lot of traction from my management to piggy-back on it. When I spoke about your idea, my boss answered with a barrage of requests for new BI solutions. I have got work for at least 3 days 😀

One side idea I have is to use existing Excel templates where I have pivot tables sourced from named ranges and auto-refresh on open set to true.

This is like I like it, simple, smart and cheap.

I even derived a version for Hyperion out of it :w00t:

BI Guy

• What about dynamic datasets? i.e. datasets that changes in columns, let's say for example 2 columns in dataset 1 and 15 columns in dataset 2

• Good question! I have not tried it with changing numbers of columns/tab or file. Any ideas anyone?

Hmmm, are we saying that the TABLE itself has multiple columns but not ALL of them have data at any one time? If so, I would try to select ALL the cols. Then either have blank cols on some tabs....or look for a way to suppress the blank/no data cols....

• I have never found a way to replace data in an existing Excel file. The standard behavior is to append data. The only workaround is to have excel.exe on the server and use Interop. Too bad

' Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services Script Task

' Write scripts using Microsoft Visual Basic

' The ScriptMain class is the entry point of the Script Task.

Option Strict Off

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Math

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Public Class ScriptMain

' The execution engine calls this method when the task executes.

' To access the object model, use the Dts object. Connections, variables, events,

' and logging features are available as static members of the Dts class.

' Before returning from this method, set the value of Dts.TaskResult to indicate success or failure.

'

' To open Code and Text Editor Help, press F1.

' To open Object Browser, press Ctrl+Alt+J.

Private _app As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application

Private _books As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbooks

Private _book As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook

Protected _sheets As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Sheets

Protected _sheet As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet

Public Sub Main()

' Add your code here

Try

Dim FileName As String

Dim Tab As String

FileName = CType(Dts.Variables("DestinationFile").Value, String)

Tab = CType(Dts.Variables("AccessTB").Value, String)

OpenExcelWorkbook(FileName)

_sheet = CType(_sheets(Tab), Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet)

_sheet.Select(Type.Missing)

Dim range As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range = _sheet.Rows("2:65536")

range.Delete(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.XlDeleteShiftDirection.xlShiftUp)

NAR(range)

NAR(_sheet)

CloseExcelWorkbook()

NAR(_book)

_app.Quit()

NAR(_app)

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.ToString())

End Try

End Sub

Protected Sub OpenExcelWorkbook(ByVal fileName As String)

'try

'{

_app = New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application()

If _book Is Nothing Then

_books = _app.Workbooks

_book = _books.Open(fileName, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing, Type.Missing)

_sheets = _book.Worksheets

End If

'}

'catch(Exception ex)

'{

' Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString());

'}

End Sub

Protected Sub CloseExcelWorkbook()

_book.Save()

_book.Close(False, Type.Missing, Type.Missing)

End Sub

Protected Sub NAR(ByVal o As Object)

Try

If Not o Is Nothing Then

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(o)

End If

Finally

o = Nothing

End Try

End Sub

' To avoid the variable locking problem use this method to read package variables.

' No read variables need to be declared in the "ReadOnlyVariables" list of the script

' component if this method is used inside the code.

Private Function ReadVariable(ByVal varName As String) As Object

Dim result As Object

Try

Dim vars As Variables

Dts.VariableDispenser.LockForRead(varName)

Dts.VariableDispenser.GetVariables(vars)

Try

result = vars(varName).Value

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

Finally

vars.Unlock()

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

End Try

Return result

End Function

' To avoid the variable locking problem use this method to set package variables.

' No write variables need to be declared in the "ReadWriteVariables" list of the script

' component if this method is used inside the code.

Private Sub WriteVariable(ByVal varName As String, ByVal varValue As Object)

Try

Dim vars As Variables

Dts.VariableDispenser.LockForWrite(varName)

Dts.VariableDispenser.GetVariables(vars)

Try

vars(varName).Value = varValue

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

Finally

vars.Unlock()

End Try

Catch ex As Exception

Throw ex

End Try

End Sub

End Class

BI Guy

• How To Use ADO.NET to Retrieve and Modify Records in an Excel Workbook With Visual Basic .NET --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316934/en-us%5B/url%5D

• delphigao (8/22/2008)

How To Use ADO.NET to Retrieve and Modify Records in an Excel Workbook With Visual Basic .NET --- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316934/en-us%5B/url%5D%5B/quote%5D

This link is broken

BI Guy

• What am I missing here? I am using VS 2008 and nowhere can I find a way to

"Add Execute SQL Task to the canvas .....".

What version of VS are you using. I can't even find how this is done by searching MSDN.

They describe how to configure it but do not describe how to create it in the first place

which is typical of MS documentation.

thanks, Otto Porter

• Nice article...

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply