how to determine the locale of sql sever

• Im developing a web app in azure and we have an instance of sql server hosted in a VM in an azure environment located in western europe.  The system time of sql server is currently 1 hour behind my local development machine because we are currently in british summer time in the uk.  Im developing a schedule module which uses dates & times.  These are entered though clients browsers in the UK (we only have uk clients) so any time data is currently 1 hour ahead.  Ive created a function which detects bst, it work fine.  But I dont need this functionality if Im testing locally, so I want a switch in my sql which will ignore the bst function if the locale of sql server (my development machine) is in the uk.  How can I detect the locale programmatically ?  some thing like

IF locale != UK THEN
       bst check here

• SQL isn't run on the client side, so you can't "check" the timezone of the client in there. You'd need to check the client's date/timezone some other way and pass it in your SQL.

You could, instead, use datetimeoffset, if you're in a multi timezone environment. This stores the UTC settings as part of the time instead. For example:
    SELECT SYSDATETIMEOFFSET();
    --Returns 2017-08-21 09:24:15.2435981 +01:00

The +01:00 here represents the BST, as I am also in the UK.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• How about using a dll kind a component that can be called from SQL server and getting the datetime from client as a return value.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply