how to determine if SSRS is running on local server

• Hi all,

I have a database servers that have 6 ReportServer databases listed. I'd read that it is better to have SSRS install and run on separate server than on the database server. How can I find whether SSRS is installed and run from the database server and not from a separate reporting server ?

The SSRS service is on on the database server, I can't risk turning it off since the server is Production.

Developer does not know because the DBA that set up the system is no longer there.

TIA

• If you see reporting databases in your database server and reporting service is also on this server,this does not mean that your local SSRS service is using these databases.These databases may be used by differnent servers where SSRS is installed(normal or scale-out configuration).Query your database using sp_who2 or dm_exec_sessions and respectively find the hostname where connections are coming to your reporting databases.

It may help you troubleshoot your issue.

• The best way to determine if SSRS is installed (and not just a reportserver database restored to that instance), is to check the services. If the SQL Reporting Service is installed and running then SSRS is on that server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• As per the best practice for SSRS - if you have resource intense reports and the reports are being hit constantly, then it is recommended to put SSRS on a different server. If things are running fine without inhibiting other database performance - it doesn't hurt to have it on the same box.

I have run SSRS many times from the same server as the OLTP databases and have also done it from the same box as OLAP databases. It all depends.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply