How to deploy SSRS 2008 R2 Reports so people outside the Windows Domain can view them

• Is there any reasonable way to deploy Reports in SSRS 2008 R2 so that users can view the reports without having to be members of the same Windows domain that SQL Server 2008 R2 and SSRS 2008 R2 are members of. This worked so well in SSRS 2005 and Microsoft seems to have intentionally broken this. Is there a work around without having to buy Visual Studio 2010 just to create an ASP page using Report Viewer version 10?

Has anyone in this forum actually succeeded in deploying reports to the Internet (again SSRS 2008 or newer) and if so what did you do?

Thanks.

• The issue is authentication, Anonymous no longer does what you want it to, and will need some clever trickery to pass or emulate it/impersonation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico, Yes I know anonymous authentication was broken by MS, what I'm looking for is a solution to Microsoft's arrogance that they know better than I do who should be able to view reports against my data. Thanks for the reply. Home you have a great weekend. Still can't understand why they decided to cripple this otherwise wonderful product. What good is a nice report if no one can see it?

• what I'm looking for is a solution to Microsoft's arrogance that they know ...

Arrogance is a very strong term, and I don't agree. Security is obviously the main issue here, and I have spoken to some people who were able to, with custom code, make it work from ext to int domain.

I am very sure MS didn't "break" it, merely improved the security.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Oh, I think arrogance is exactly the right term, it is arrogant to assume 'you' know better than I do about my network and my security. I can certainly understand not making anonymous access the default but to effectively block access to reports from outside my Windows domain because 'you' think I shouldn't make reports available to a larger audience is the very definition of arrogance. This sort of thing is very typical of Microsoft, the 'we know better than you' about your computer, your network and your security.

They also and I'm sure this is a revenue thing which is 'fair' have broken the Report Viewer control in ASP.NET well actually the control version that supports SSRS 2008 only works in Visual Studio 2010 Professional and greater. I think that may be why they deliberately broke reports deployment to generate another revenue stream. SSRS 2005 was easy to work with and deploy because they wanted to get people using it. Now they have broken the deployment features to force you into buying still more products from them. Good for the shareholders bad for the customer.

They are, however, doing a great job of selling Crystal Reports and other third party reporting tools since they do not want SSRS 2008 and going forward (still broken by design in 2012 as well) to be useful. Great report building tool utterly useless when you need to actually consume the reports. Microsoft either too greedy or too stupid either way they have by design rendered a great tool useless.

Again hope you have a great weekend.

• I still don't agree on the "break" and "arrogance" terms. Sure it's inconvenient, but Microsoft provides quality and proven software.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply