How to delete transaction logs without accessing the Database?

• I had a similar problem several days ago because a log file grew up too large. What I did was to change the recovery model to simple, truncate and shrink the transaction log, switch back to full recovery model and backup the database.

• That's the wrong sequence... BACKUP FIRST... then do the rest.

make sure to advise and get approval that if anything goes wrong, no point in time recovery is available between the most recent backup and now!

So start with backup, simple, checkpoint, backup log, shrinkfile(log, newsize), full recovery, backup again.

Then you're good to go.

• I couldn't backup since the transaction log was full and there was no free space in the disk. I decided to take my chances since it wasn't a production environment. I guess I was lucky.

• You can always backup to external disk, or network drives. On prod server I'd never change recovery mode without backing up first.

Of course dev can be another beast... I always code all my changes through scripts, so the dbs become expandible!!!

• I added one hard drive to the server as I told you guys that I dont have any space on the existing setup. I was forced to add new hard-disk:(

• sanjeev_krs2004 (12/17/2008)

I added one hard drive to the server as I told you guys that I dont have any space on the existing setup. I was forced to add new hard-disk:(

My comment wasn't directed to you, but I'm glad you got it all fixed now!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply