How to deal with SqlServer PS module

• I understand that SqlServer has replaced SQLPS.  I experienced this with SQL 2017.  I'm now putting together a SQL 2019 with server 2019 and I see that SQLPS is still part of an install.

PS C:\Windows\system32> get-module sqlps -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\150\Tools\PowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version Name ExportedCommands

---------- ------- ---- ----------------

Manifest 15.0 SQLPS {Backup-SqlDatabase, Save-SqlMigrationReport, Invoke-Polic...

Before I do an install of SqlServer module, is it advised to uninstall SQLPS first?  I did try to install SqlServer without trying to remove SQLPS and I'm then presented with all sorts of red text

PackageManagement\Install-Package : The following commands are already available on this system:'Add-SqlAvailabilityDatabase,Add-SqlAvailabilityGroupListenerStaticIp,Add-SqlFirewallRule,Backup-SqlDatabase,blah blah blah....'. This module 'SqlServer' may override the existing commands. If you still want to install this module 'SqlServer', use -AllowClobber parameter.

Should one just -AllowClobber?  When I do that, both SQLPS and SqlServer appear to be installed.

Please advise and thanks!

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by  NotBob.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by  NotBob.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Since I'm not getting much for suggestions on this topic, is there another source or forum that might be able to assist?

Thanks!

• I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. Cannot use a certain function of invoke-sqlcmd because of the sqlps module installed with 2019 and cannot seem to remove it and replace it with sqlserver.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply